Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Asking for a pay rise

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hiya guys,

Nit of a rant really but I need some advice as to whether I'm completely out of line lol.

I started working at an accountants in September as a trainee (currently working towards intermediate AAT) and I'm having my first appraisal on Wednesday.

I've already sat my A-Level in Accounting but intermediate is the highest you can start at AAT, so this year is pretty much like resitting my A-Level.

Anyways, I started on £7000 a year and I'm thinking of asking for a payrise. (Nothing extreme just going to ask for an extra £1000) The girl at work who's working for her technician level is on £8,500 and not to be bitchy but, I've been there 5 months and I'm doing stuff even she can't do.

I've been looking around at other jobs at the same level as mine and they're all offering £9000-£10000 and they're similar size firms.

Am I totally out of line? Or should I say I'm looking for other places if I get turned down because I think £3.98 an hour for 37 and a half hours a week is a bit crap really.

Comments

• Options
    How old are you? theres a minimum wage.
  • Options
    :eek: National Wage limits. As an accountants they should bloody know better to pay under the limits. I'm guessing your 18/19 so you should be £4.60 an hour or £8970 a year.

Ring the student line for the AAT (0845 863 0801 )and ask for advise. Because you are illegally getting under paid, and deserve to be treated better by your employers. If they dont shift on your pay, get a new job and then report them.
  • Options
    I'm 19 in a few days and national minimum wage doesn't apply because I'm an apprentice.

The least I can be paid is £87.01 a week which is only £4500 a year, so really I'm being "reasonably" paid :\
  • Options
    Hmmm, my sister is an apprentice and gets paid £80 cash a week. (hairdressing)

Go ahead and ask, worst they can say is no.
  • Options
    Simmyluvsu wrote: »
    I'm 19 in a few days and national minimum wage doesn't apply because I'm an apprentice.

The least I can be paid is £87.01 a week which is only £4500 a year, so really I'm being "reasonably" paid :\

Damn, I forgot you got paid so badly if your an apprentice (which is still a shit wage across the board imo)

Just ask them, worse they can do is say no. Maybe ask for a six month review and do it there.
  • Options
    is an apprentice differenet from a trainee accountant? as my other halfs cousin is a trainee accountant and was on 15k a year??:crazyeyes
  • Options
    is an apprentice differenet from a trainee accountant? as my other halfs cousin is a trainee accountant and was on 15k a year??:crazyeyes

If you 18-25 and registed on the appentice scheme then companies can pay you bugger all (becasue they are paying for your training) and your a bit screwed because some comapnies can and will take advantage. Trainee job tend to have your training included for the job and you get paid a decent salary.
  • Options
    The girl at work who's working for her technician level is on £8,500 and not to be bitchy but, I've been there 5 months and I'm doing stuff even she can't do.

I've been looking around at other jobs at the same level as mine and they're all offering £9000-£10000 and they're similar size firms.
    If you're doing more than the other role, your assessment should show this. When it does, use that as the basis for asking for a rise. If your assessment doesn't recognise the additional skills, apply for jobs elsewhere - when they ask why you're looking to leave your current employer, it's because they're not letting you use your abilities/dead-end role/boredom.

On the other hand, that's the contract you signed up for. If you were happy with it 5 months ago, why aren't you happy with it now? I'm always heavily sceptical of a job applicant who has been with his previous employer for less than a year - two years for comfort
  • Options
    I'm training through a company called "Training 2000" who pay for my college course and make sure I find a suitable job. When I started my mentor from Training 2000 said it was reasonable pay and it was convenient because I live just down the road.

But when I started and realised I'm doing more work than other people it annoyed me a bit.

Anyway I went for my appraisal and my boss said no to a pay rise. So i argued my point and showed him the table I'd found of what trainee accountants should be on and.........he didn't even know that I was sitting the intermediate paper, he thought I'd started with no experience OR qualifications....when both me AND the training 2000 person made him completely aware of this.

So at the end of the day, I got an extra £1000 and a promise of another review in 6 months time when I've got my exam results :thumb:
  • Options
    BunnieBunnie Posts: 6,099 Master Poster
    I'm training through a company called "Training 2000" who pay for my college course and make sure I find a suitable job. When I started my mentor from Training 2000 said it was reasonable pay and it was convenient because I live just down the road.

But when I started and realised I'm doing more work than other people it annoyed me a bit.

Anyway I went for my appraisal and my boss said no to a pay rise. So i argued my point and showed him the table I'd found of what trainee accountants should be on and.........he didn't even know that I was sitting the intermediate paper, he thought I'd started with no experience OR qualifications....when both me AND the training 2000 person made him completely aware of this.

So at the end of the day, I got an extra £1000 and a promise of another review in 6 months time when I've got my exam results :thumb:
    well done!! :D
  • Options

Well done. Your bosses not knowing what your qualifications/experience are is shocking but I've had it happen more then once to me.