Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Bike Accident - Travel Expenses

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Ok, long story short, My bike was parked at my work premises at the work (my employer) hit my bike and damaged it, now its going through the "insurence" system I am stuffed with travel to and from work which is in excess of 5/6times my usural average. I got it written in writing (via) email from one manager as per a discussion with the financial director about travel expenses

which says
Hi Graham,

This is just to document the following:-

* Please ask Angus to give your ?Moped? a thorough once-over before providing an estimate of how much it will cost to fix it.
* Also, as agreed with Ronnie, if you find yourself stuck on the premises after the last bus or indeed unable to get public transport to or from work please use taxis and pass the receipts to accounts for reimbursement.

Thanks and best regards
so i claimed some back, anyway one of the bosses only just found out and told me they will not reinburse me for this anymore and i've to pay my own way.

he says it's an accident I have no legal stand point

DO I? my insurence said I cannot claim it through the insurence, however I will ask them tomorrow. but legally? can I claim it back from the company which caused the accident (Who happen to be my employer)

As you can see they are not contesting the accident was there fault as they asked for estimates etc which obviously is a sign of admiting liability

HELP please as I cannot afford it all the time

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    So first they say they'll reimburse you if you need to get home, and then a manager says you've got to pay your own way?

I don't know, have you shown this mail to the manager and explained you interpreted it as meaning that the company would help cover travel costs until your moped is fixed?
    ShyBoy wrote: »
    So first they say they'll reimburse you if you need to get home, and then a manager says you've got to pay your own way?

I don't know, have you shown this mail to the manager and explained you interpreted it as meaning that the company would help cover travel costs until your moped is fixed?

I've tried but this paticular manager is a bit of a handful, it wasn't himself who sent the e-mail, One manager sent the e-mail the other manager refused to let me claim it back

I believe my insurence brokers may have quoted me wrong and given me wrong advice, i believe i can claim through the insurence but i'll contact the "legal aid team" or whatever they are tomorrow, all i know is my insurence broker is E-bike and the legal aid team is "angel Assitance" who support my legal aid cover
    The wording does suggest you should use public transport where possible, and they will only reimburse you when it isn't

It also looks like they're trying to avoid an insurance claim (which makes sense really - loss of no claims can be expensive long term). I'd get back in touch with Ronnie, explain which manager has said you can't claim it as expenses, and ask for clarification.
    thats all im asking for. the taxi fair on the shifts were i finish and the buses are to late or start before the buses start.
  • BunnieBunnie Posts: 6,099 Master Poster
    You need to mitigate your losses, so you have to catch public transport whenever you can.

Who are you insured with? Seems strange that they have said they cant help, as most big companies have either in house solicitors or at least links with them.

Have a look on your policy docs and see if you have legal expenses cover. If you do, call your insurers and ask for your file to be passed to the sols so you can obtain some form of advice.

With regards to work saying they aint paying, you need to show whoever it is that has stated that you cant, the email.

It does sound like they dont want to go through insurers, is it a personal vehicle that hit yours, or does it belong to the company?

Unless it is a fleet the excess should be moderate and the loss of no claims shouldnt effect too much, so it seems strange that they are slightly dragging their heels.

I would love to help more, but without knowing if it is going to get passed to the sols i cannot tell what you what to do, but as soon as it goes, I am your lass!
    Ok i'll clear a few things up

I only get the bus when I cannot get a lift,
    I only use taxi's when no buses or lifts are avaliable (before 07.30 and after 10.00 or any sunday shift

I have legal aid cover as i stated within my first post, my Legal aid team is with Angel Asistance

the note/e-mail was BEFORE they deicded to put it through the insurence, originally they wanted an estimate beforehand to decide. they got it and then decided to let insurers sort it out.

finally. spoken to my brother who is a law student. he's going to get the statues if its written law or a few cases, one with the ruling and a few example cases using the rulings. then i need to check they are valid within scots law (shouldn't be a problem)

Thirdly i will not deal with the manager who i've been having problems with. I will deal with the Owner who has been thus far very very helpful.
  • BunnieBunnie Posts: 6,099 Master Poster
    Hellfire wrote: »
    Ok i'll clear a few things up

I only get the bus when I cannot get a lift,
    I only use taxi's when no buses or lifts are avaliable (before 07.30 and after 10.00 or any sunday shift

I have legal aid cover as i stated within my first post, my Legal aid team is with Angel Asistance

the note/e-mail was BEFORE they deicded to put it through the insurence, originally they wanted an estimate beforehand to decide. they got it and then decided to let insurers sort it out.

finally. spoken to my brother who is a law student. he's going to get the statues if its written law or a few cases, one with the ruling and a few example cases using the rulings. then i need to check they are valid within scots law (shouldn't be a problem)

Thirdly i will not deal with the manager who i've been having problems with. I will deal with the Owner who has been thus far very very helpful.
    Firstly, who instructed Angel Assist? you or your insurers? From when I have dealt with them at work, they are a bunch of dicks.

You need to find out if you have a solicitor acting for you, they are not solicitors. - no matter how much they would like to think they are. They may have sols acting for them so either ask them or your insurers.

Who are you insured with?

Like you say, it shouldnt be too hard to find out if they are relevant. Ask your bro to use Halsburys and West Law, or see if he can get his hands on a decent insurance lit book.

It is pretty straight forward tho, you are entitled to the expenses as long as they are not unreasonable which as you have explained they are.

You need to keep all receipts for the things you want to claim back. This is a must as you need to prove that you have been spending the money, but I am sure your insurers have told you all this.

Let me know how you get on.