Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Money Troubles

2»

Comments

• Options
    BunnieBunnie Posts: 6,099 Master Poster
    Kermit wrote: »
    It wasn't that blunt:(

Shopping around for a better loan might not be such a bad idea, but be careful of taking out a loan that is for more than what you originally borrowed.

what do you mean? Sorry, I am slow as you are aware :p
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Kermit wrote: »
    It wasn't that blunt:(

Yeah it was quite tame for you :p
  • Options
  • Options
    Calvin wrote: »
    Get a better loan to pay it off. ?

:yes: But open up an Alliance and Leicester First Premier account first.

When I got my first Career Development Loan statement it was shocking. I'd borrowed £8K to get me through my masters and was paying £181.10 per month over 5 years, but after the first 12 months I still had just under £7K to go! When I asked Barclays (who I had the CDL out with) about their personal loans, all they'd offer me was one with a really nasty interest rate, but when I went to A&L, because I had a current account with them I was guaranteed their best interest rate (5.7% at the time :D) if I was approved for a loan. So I was able to get a £7500 loan to repay over 4 years and now am only paying £175 per month (for an extra £500, too! I couldn't borrow any less as £7,500 was the smallest loans they'd do).

I know that the interest rates aren't as nice any more, but it's worth giving them a go.
  • Options
    BunnieBunnie Posts: 6,099 Master Poster
    Meryn wrote: »
    :yes: But open up an Alliance and Leicester First Premier account first.

When I got my first Career Development Loan statement it was shocking. I'd borrowed £8K to get me through my masters and was paying £181.10 per month over 5 years, but after the first 12 months I still had just under £7K to go! When I asked Barclays (who I had the CDL out with) about their personal loans, all they'd offer me was one with a really nasty interest rate, but when I went to A&L, because I had a current account with them I was guaranteed their best interest rate (5.7% at the time :D) if I was approved for a loan. So I was able to get a £7500 loan to repay over 4 years and now am only paying £175 per month (for an extra £500, too! I couldn't borrow any less as £7,500 was the smallest loans they'd do).

I know that the interest rates aren't as nice any more, but it's worth giving them a go.
    oh wow! that is certainly something to look into, thanks very much :)
  • Options
    Alliance & Leicester rock. Brilliant offers/rates both for savers and borrowers.
  • Options
    May sound like a really dumb question, but what exactly is the graduate loan? I'm guessing it's just a loan for when you finish uni, but why do people get these?

Sorry for the naiveness, but I'm intrigued!!! :blush:
  • Options
    In case they want to do postgraduate study :)
  • Options
    ShyBoy wrote: »
    In case they want to do postgraduate study :)
    Oh, right! lol! :blush: