Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Missing Classes

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
Hi,

I wasn't sure where to put this so feel free to move it if needs be. Basically, I haven't been sleeping since around Xmas, more specifically around the time of my exams at the start of January. I worked all the way through Xmas basically full time, and then when it came to exams I was literally pulling all nighters most nights, just so I could try and catch up with work, and then ended up sick for the next 2 weeks as a result.

Since then I can't get to sleep at all at a decent hour, and I'm catching a few hours around 6am and then missing all my classes, which are all in the morning this semester. It's actually doing my head in, because I am really trying, I have every alarm set and I genuinely just sleep right through them all...

The last 2-3 weeks have also been a nightmare with various things happening, and to be honest I am just completely drained...I can't seem to find energy anywhere, all I want to do is lie in bed all the time. It's now into my 2nd week this semester, and I've been to 2 lectures, and not one seminar...can anyone please offer me some advice?

Thanks,

capo2
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I'd advise talking to your personal tutor as soon as possible in regards to the situation and making sure that you get all the notes and related coursework. It's hard and can be quite embarrassing but that's what they are there for.

I get a lot of sleep problems myself as my weekend job has me doing shifts from 8pm till around 8am and then sleeping all weekend. What I try to do is on a couple of days where I don't have university I stay up allllllll night... and all day. Wear myself out and then attempt to sleep from around 6pmish. I tend to sleep right through till around 6am the next morning and that usually sorts out my body clock.

Try and cut out any caffeine as well and maybe consult your doctor as it could be an issue of an underlying issue.

Hope I'm of some help!
    XXX
    Thanks Starcrossed, it may be a case of going to see my doctor or something...it's doing my head in...!!
    capo2 wrote: »
    Thanks Starcrossed, it may be a case of going to see my doctor or something...it's doing my head in...!!
    No worries, it's best to go to the docs just to get it checked out. Also they might give you a sick note if you ask so you can be excused from what you've missed out on. Good luck :)
    I'd second going to talk to your doctor, or maybe a counsellor if the uni have one. Our Uni Counselling Service does drop in and one of the things this is aimed at is sleep problems, not necessarily because you need counselling as such, just someone who is removed from the situation to help you work out some strategies to get back into a better sleep pattern.
    I feel awful, because I feel like I haven't got a valid excuse for not attending...I really enjoy uni, and I really do want to be there...
    capo2 wrote: »
    I feel awful, because I feel like I haven't got a valid excuse for not attending...I really enjoy uni, and I really do want to be there...

you need to start by trying to get yourself into a routine again... the sleep should then sort itself out.