Home Drink & Drugs
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

horizon last night

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
anyone watch on? took 20 top legal/illegal drugs and listed in them order of dangers blahblah

im sure the anti drug population who just 'drink and smoke' were happy to see ecstasy landing in at 18th, alcohol 8th i think and smoking 5th :D

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Watched it, just goes to show ya.
    It was the other way round they rated alcohol above smoking. There was one doctor who was a complete nazi about the whole thing apart from at the very begining when she said that e's were great - whilst most of them were fairly levelheaded.

I would have put LSD higher though = but mainly becuase i know a couple of people who've taken a few too many trips and never come back - or at least not without professional help - but in retrospect most of them were smoking weed heavily as well so i guess it could have been that.
    It was the other way round they rated alcohol above smoking.

oh knew it was something along those lines :P
    Wyetry wrote: »
    There was one doctor who was a complete nazi about the whole thing apart from at the very begining when she said that e's were great - whilst most of them were fairly levelheaded.

haha aye i remember lookin at her sitting beside her computer with the computer wallpaper set to a pic with loads of e's on it and thinkin 'shes a fuckin e head' :D
    The experiment where they injected the lad with pure thc was interesting, traits of schizorphina came up. :chin:
    I watched most of it, what annoyed me most was where solvents were put, they should have been much further up the list, to suggest that cannabis is more dangerous than them is just plain daft.

But there is a big flaw in the whole theory, drugs arent taken by themselves (or at least not as often as they used to be) and its poly-drug use which really adds up the risks.

ETA - also, why did they have flatliners on there at all? They are virtually never ever found on the market.
    If i remember correctly skive had some flatliners a while back, not a prevalant drug though and if most drug users asked they wouldn't have a clue.
    They have turned up on the market in pills a few times, but very rarely. I would be massively surprised if there is actually a market for it.
    Not with the market for pills and how cheap they are.
    I had alot of issues with that programme, including what Budda said about placing solvents as less dangerous than cannabis. I know they had 20 drugs to get through in less than an hour, but i think they should've said a bit more about cannabis, they pretty much only said the bad sides, it can have a lot of benefits too.
    Also, as much as I love ecstasy I think they put it in too good a light. If used incorrectly it can be rather dangerous, and all they said about correct use was 'they realised people were dying from dehydration' or something to that effect. I felt it was rather irresponsible not to give some advice on using it safely, eg how much water to drink, and don't drink too much, and the dangers of mixing with alcohol and other drugs. And I don't think i'd place ecstasy as less dangerous than cannabis either. All the real dangers from cannabis are associated with long term and often, heavy use. Ecstasy, and afew other drugs placed below cannabis can do damage or even kill on the first try if used irresponsibly.

Overall i just think the programme tried to fit in too much into such a short space of time that it ended up being quite misleading in places. They probably shoud've done a small series of programmes and gone into much more detail. Would've been more interesting and educational also I think.
    flatliners? that's a movie init?
  • SkiveSkive Posts: 15,282 Skive's The Limit
    katralla wrote: »
    flatliners? that's a movie init?

It's often just a name for a pill with no logo and a splitter either side but proper 'flatliners' are or were supposed to contain 4MTA - a drug I've knowinlgy done only once after somebody I knew brought some back from the dam. They were very good.
    Weekender Offender 
    I just watched it. It's just a TV programme about that study that came out last year. I think the most positive thing to come out of this programme is that it forced people to look at the individual drugs, rather than just label them all as drugs = bad.
    All the real dangers from cannabis are associated with long term and often, heavy use. Ecstasy, and afew other drugs placed below cannabis can do damage or even kill on the first try if used irresponsibly.

That's the huge flaw in this rating though, because the harm used by most of those drugs is so dependant on how they are used.

Cannabis if used in moderate doses infrequently comes with virtually no real risks - but large frequent doses while young is linked to mental health problems.

Its the same with MDMA, physically it isnt that dangerous if used in set doses in a cool setting - but that isnt how its used.

And of course, the drug they put at the top, heroin - pure doses given by a proffessional is relatively safe and not physically damaging.

Which of course leads us to the whole reason most of these drugs are more harmful - the law.
    I do wonder how many places tobacco and alcohol would jump if they weren't made in clean, regulated factories with the guidelines that come with them being legal. I think the reputation that absinthe got was down to the conditions in which it was made, rather than any danger from the substance itself, for example.
    Personally i think tobacco will be used less and less over the years and eventually disappear. The question is though, whats the future for alcohol like. It does cause a lot of problems, cost us a lot of money with crime and hospital treatment. Do you think maybe in the future it could be outlawed, or a limit on how much one person can consume during a week? Perhaps enforced electronically using ID cards or something?
    budda wrote: »
    That's the huge flaw in this rating though, because the harm used by most of those drugs is so dependant on how they are used.

Cannabis if used in moderate doses infrequently comes with virtually no real risks - but large frequent doses while young is linked to mental health problems.

Its the same with MDMA, physically it isnt that dangerous if used in set doses in a cool setting - but that isnt how its used.

And of course, the drug they put at the top, heroin - pure doses given by a proffessional is relatively safe and not physically damaging.

Which of course leads us to the whole reason most of these drugs are more harmful - the law.
    Yep that also crossed my mind about heroin. And i think at the start of the programme they mentioned that the law was the main problem, but then they never mentioned it again. They certainly should have said something about it at the end.
    Jonny8888 wrote: »
    Personally i think tobacco will be used less and less over the years and eventually disappear. The question is though, whats the future for alcohol like. It does cause a lot of problems, cost us a lot of money with crime and hospital treatment. Do you think maybe in the future it could be outlawed, or a limit on how much one person can consume during a week? Perhaps enforced electronically using ID cards or something?

Tobacco will never go away and will rise in use if anything.

Alcohol i think will just stay the same and there really wouldnt be anyway on limiting on how much people drink, their will just end up a black market if they tried to enforce such a thing.