Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Contesting a grade

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
Heya,

I basically worked my arse off last term doing our final year project (running the college newspaper and it's website). I was in till 10pm some days and kept getting told off because I have a part-time job that I would occasionally have to leave at 6pm for (baring in mind our "work hours" at this project were 10am-5pm).

So anyway, I sacrificed my entire life to this project, didn't go out for three months and was stressed as hell to get a C. Which is the same grade as a girl that didn't turn up for half the term and a guy who never did any work.

I'm really pissed off as this is a quarter of my final degree grade and I was expecting at least a B. Everybody else that has been marked by this tutor has got grades lower than they expected.

Has anybody here ever contested a grade? What were the outcomes?

Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    Contesting grades is varies hugely between courses, departments and universities. A good starting point would be talking to the course leader, the person in charge of that part of the course, or your personnal tutor.

I contested one of my practical marks, because the feedback I got with the grade and in particular the criticisms didn't tie in with the objectives at all and I felt that the marker didn't really know what the expected content for these reports was. It got remarked by another marker and then modertaed by the guy in charge of the lab and a slightly higher new mark stood.
  • Options
    I was about to post something like this.

I believe I was marked down because of political differences (I've been told he was involved with "men's rights" movements).

I wrote a portfolio about movements which sought equality for previously disadvantaged people. For example, people of colour, women, sexual minorities. He wrote next to it "what about men?"

He also said how I should have commented on the growing number of "men's literature" that's coming out and that it would make my essay less biased.

It was an essay on the "institutional potential for protecting or promoting one form of equality or inclusion" so I wrote about the gender pay gap and legislation. I don't understand how writing about men's literature and men's rights could benefit a 1,500 word essay on the gender pay gap. WOMEN ARE ON AVERAGE PAID LESS... And I wrote reasons why... This was not an essay on theory, but on how effective legislation is.

He second marked it and took it down from a 71 to a 68.

:mad:

He didn't comment much on the structure, I think he was too harsh.
  • Options
    Oh man that sucks!

I tried to talk to him today and he stonewalled me said that I should come and find him at 4pm at this place and he'd talk to me then. Arrived at 3:45pm and left at 5pm because he didn't turn up.

Even before I got my grade back he was avoiding me! It's ridiculous. The thing is the tutor in question wasn't even in more than 2 days a week. He would give us absolutely no guidance and then whilst we working away quite happily he would come and slate all our work.

He actually said to me (in regards to my job and the hours it made me keep) "People in the industry won't stand for this when you're working a full-time job." to which I replied "When I'm working in a full-time job I won't need a part-time job will I?" and he got all huffy and refused to speak to me for a week!

I'm going to try and talk to him again and at least try and get some sort of feedback before talking to the head of my department (I'm in his good books at the moment, he says I've got "a bright career ahead of me" which I will do if I get my grade changed to what it should be ARGH!)

:)
  • Options
    He sounds like a right biased arsehole. Definately go to the HOD
  • Options
    Namaste wrote: »
    I was about to post something like this.

I believe I was marked down because of political differences (I've been told he was involved with "men's rights" movements).

I wrote a portfolio about movements which sought equality for previously disadvantaged people. For example, people of colour, women, sexual minorities. He wrote next to it "what about men?"

He also said how I should have commented on the growing number of "men's literature" that's coming out and that it would make my essay less biased.

It was an essay on the "institutional potential for protecting or promoting one form of equality or inclusion" so I wrote about the gender pay gap and legislation. I don't understand how writing about men's literature and men's rights could benefit a 1,500 word essay on the gender pay gap. WOMEN ARE ON AVERAGE PAID LESS... And I wrote reasons why... This was not an essay on theory, but on how effective legislation is.

He second marked it and took it down from a 71 to a 68.

:mad:

He didn't comment much on the structure, I think he was too harsh.

Surely it should be marked on how well you've done and not whether your lecturer agrees with you?

I had one of my grades contested because I was predicted BB at GCSE Science and got DD. Apparantely, the grade the board gave me was correct.:rolleyes: