Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

South Africa bans kissing

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Nice to see the South African government is dealing with the big issues in its country. Story. They've banned under 16's from kissing under the sexual offences act. They claim it's to stop a 40 year old kissing a 13 year old, but surely it's quite easy to make that illegal without banning it in general?

Comments

• Options
    The woords 'sledgehammer' and 'nut' come to mind.
  • Options
    I agree with this, kissing is dirty and icky plus You could catch cooties.
  • Options
    I really fear for South Africas future, they are having power cuts all the time and things like this go through because its a one party state.

I hope it isnt yet another typical african tragic waste.
  • Options
    'But she fainted officer, I swear it, I was just giving her mouth-to-mouth!'
  • Options
    Not to mention the demise of yet another good old kids play ground game, kiss chase.....
  • Options
    it's illegal in this country....

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/3672591.stm

seriously
    Sexual touching, the Act says, includes doing it "with any part of the body", "with anything else", and "through anything". Depending on one's definition, that could technically include snogging as well as the gamut of sexual activities that teenagers often get up to. The guidance notes from the government say it could include "where a person rubs up against someone's private parts through the person's clothes for sexual gratification".

No snooping

The most unusual aspect of this new law, however, is that the authorities have no intention of enforcing it. Police officers will not be snooping through school children's curtains to see if they are getting up to no good rather than doing their homework.

The government has told the Crown Prosecution Service (which makes the decision as to whether cases presented to it by the police should go to court) that it should not normally prosecute the under-16s for having consensual sex, let alone for "sexual touching".
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    POL POT IS PLEASED.
    Pol_Pot2.jpg

Next: Laughter.
  • Options
    To be quite frank, I think this idea is ludicrous!! Havn't the african government got other pressing issues that they could deal with first?!
    Such as their unemployment problems?! Which in my eyes is a far bigger problem than if an under 16 is caught kissing someone in public!
    Perlease!!!!!
  • Options
    To be quite frank, I think this idea is ludicrous!! Havn't the african government got other pressing issues that they could deal with first?!
    Such as their unemployment problems?! Which in my eyes is a far bigger problem than if an under 16 is caught kissing someone in public!
    Perlease!!!!!

The South African govt only appears to be doing what we already do so the question could be asked about us. Personally I think child protection is a very serious issue.
  • Options
    Of course child protection is extremely important. This idea takes away young adults rights. & with the issue of an older man kissing a young girl, things like that seldom happen on the streets. & I feel slightly offended that u think i dont think that child protection is important because it is.
    Teenagers have the right to express their love for someone just like we as adults do, its part of the learning process & many young adults in this day go out on weekends and meet up with friends and others because it gives them a little freedom where they can discover themselves & do things they enjoy. We are not here to agree with each other, we are here to express our views on issues and if people agree then great. & in my post I did not once state anything about child protection not being important!
  • Options
    Kissing is only ever going to lead on to much more serious, morally questionable activities such as fondling - and maybe even groping :shocking:
  • Options
    Kissing is only ever going to lead on to much more serious, morally questionable activities such as fondling - and maybe even groping :shocking:

;) I heard if you use tongues the girl can get pregnant
  • Options
    The use of tongues can lead to pregancies, yes :D
  • Options

I refuse to believe acts of such depravity even take place!
  • Options
    I refuse to believe acts of such depravity even take place!

I spent two years with the Army in Germany - I'm an expert in depravity:D