Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

'Cancer woman runs out of time in NHS battle'

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/health/article3257529.ece

I think creating a 'two-tier system' and undermining the 'fundamental principle' of the NHS, are both good things, if they mean that she would have been able to buy the drug she needed while still being treated on the NHS.

What do you think?

Comments

• Options
    I wasn't aware of this rule but generally speaking the NHS has to play a difficult balancing game. Often the very same people who claim foul about the NHS not providing certain drugs to patients are the same who moan bitterly about all the money that gets spent on the NHS.

I'm all for giving people whichever drugs improve their quality of life. But that will cost money. We can't have it both ways.
  • Options
    drug rationing has to occur, and whoever does it has a difficult job

NICE on the whole are fine, the main issue is local authorities, which causes a postcode lottery
  • Options
    Though if someone pays for their own drugs that means someone else can get them free...

I'm not sure this is a case of rationing, but a system designed in the 40's unable to cope with modern thought.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote: »
    Often the very same people who claim foul about the NHS not providing certain drugs to patients are the same who moan bitterly about all the money that gets spent on the NHS.

Sweeping generalisation and probably not true either...
  • Options
    Thats a real shame
  • Options
    It also seems a complete impractical concept. Where do they draw the line?

If you have a few sessions of private chiro on your back, will your GP no longer be allowed to treat your back pain on the NHS?
  • Options
    Sweeping generalisation and probably not true either...
    I can think of a few Daily Mail front pages doing exactly that.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote: »
    I can think of a few Daily Mail front pages doing exactly that.

So a few sub-editors then....
  • Options
    Runnymede wrote: »
    http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/health/article3257529.ece

I think creating a 'two-tier system' and undermining the 'fundamental principle' of the NHS, are both good things, if they mean that she would have been able to buy the drug she needed while still being treated on the NHS.

What do you think?

That it's a new one on me and I'm going to have a dig around at work tomorrow about this "rule"... we have people dipping in and out of private health services all the time...
  • Options
    If you have a few sessions of private chiro on your back, will your GP no longer be allowed to treat your back pain on the NHS?

Treatment with a private chiro doesn't use any NHS facilities or resources. That's different to being willing to pay for the drugs, but expecting the NHS to fund the treatment and expertise that go along with it. Similarly, it's quite different from buying a piece of equipment for a hospital that everybody is entitled to use.

But having said that, I wouldn't have had a problem with her paying for her own drugs, providing she signs a disclaimer covering the NHS against anything that might go wrong by using a drug that presumably hasn't been cleared for use by the NHS, and the doctors aren't trained and/or experienced in using. Because I suspect (and MOK will be able to tell us) that when a new drug is introduced onto the NHS, there is a period of training informing the staff how to use it. And we all know the next Daily Mail headline would be "woman dies after being given unauthorised drug."
  • Options
    The NHS has so much blood on its hands, it has no problem with adding more on. This is the organisation which, for years, has done absolutely nothing to deal with MRSA. They can't even be arsed to keep hospitals clean. Now we hear the government is authorising a "deep cleaning" of hospitals. Why not just tell lazy doctors and nurses to actually wash their hands? Why not actually clean the hospitals on a regular basis? Because such things require initiative - something that those running the NHS have never heard of.

My aunty died a few years ago from MRSA and that nasty bug, C difficile. Both were contracted in hospital. That isn't what went on the death certificate, of course - hospital managers are too scared to admit their hospitals have got problems. I wouldn't be surprised if staff at some hospitals are instructed not to write MRSA as the cause of death. I hold the NHS responsible for her passing.

It looks like the same is happening again. Dogmatic, useless officials talk a load of bollocks about a "two-tier" NHS. What the fuck does that piece of New Labour management-speak actually mean? More blood on the hands of the NHS. Just don't expect them to clean it off the floor afterwards.
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote: »
    Why not just tell lazy doctors and nurses to actually wash their hands?

More than 50% of MRSA cases are diagnosed within 48 hours of admission, this means that they must have been contracted outside of the hospital.

So, how about we tell the "lazy" members of the public to wash their hands.
    My aunty died a few years ago from MRSA and that nasty bug, C difficile. Both were contracted in hospital..

You do know that c. diff is a side effect of effective treatment don't you?
  • Options
    But having said that, I wouldn't have had a problem with her paying for her own drugs, providing she signs a disclaimer covering the NHS against anything that might go wrong by using a drug that presumably hasn't been cleared for use by the NHS, and the doctors aren't trained and/or experienced in using. Because I suspect (and MOK will be able to tell us) that when a new drug is introduced onto the NHS, there is a period of training informing the staff how to use it. And we all know the next Daily Mail headline would be "woman dies after being given unauthorised drug."

As an aside, I checked out the rule today. Basically it's the same rule which prevents us from offering part funding of any private treatment. The problem in this case is that the durg was recommended to be used in tandem with another to get the effect. The NHS therefore must pay for both, or neither.

I still don't know why the local NHS wouldn't fund it through...
  • Options
    Though if someone pays for their own drugs that means someone else can get them free...

I'm not sure this is a case of rationing, but a system designed in the 40's unable to cope with modern thought.

you are aware some drugs can cost upwards of £40k a year when they may onlu make someone live a few months longer or a chance they might not even work at all

some drugs aren't cost effective, some are - someone has to decide, local trusts aren't, NICE is okay though
  • Options
    As an aside, I checked out the rule today. Basically it's the same rule which prevents us from offering part funding of any private treatment. The problem in this case is that the durg was recommended to be used in tandem with another to get the effect. The NHS therefore must pay for both, or neither.

I still don't know why the local NHS wouldn't fund it through...

It's a daft rule. If the NHS is already providing the one drug, as it was doing, but not the other, she should have been free to buy the one the NHS was not providing out of her own money, while still receiving the one it was.

Yes, there will be some people who aren't able to do that, but those who are should be allowed to do so.
  • Options
    you are aware some drugs can cost upwards of £40k a year when they may onlu make someone live a few months longer or a chance they might not even work at all

some drugs aren't cost effective, some are - someone has to decide, local trusts aren't, NICE is okay though

er, yes I know all that. though given that she offered to pay herself I fail to see the relevance.
  • Options
    Runnymede wrote: »
    It's a daft rule. If the NHS is already providing the one drug, as it was doing, but not the other, she should have been free to buy the one the NHS was not providing out of her own money, while still receiving the one it was.

Yes, there will be some people who aren't able to do that, but those who are should be allowed to do so.

It's an excellent rule and was voted for by the general public at the last election when they outsted Howards plan for the NHS to part fund private treatment which is what this was.

That doesn't mean that the NHS shouldn't have paid for this drug anyway.
  • Options
    NICE is okay though

okay? It's world renowned, the US Govt want to do the same thing but can't get it through congress. The problem there is one of cost - you see NICE costs the NHS £30m per year (yet saves hundreds of millions in the advice it gives on "best treatment which stop us wasting money on bad ones) but the US congress don't seem to think that it's expensive enough to run...!!!
  • Options
    They're paying for the whole thing now. I thought she'd ran out of time?