Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Leaving job

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I started a weekend retail job three weeks ago but due to finding out yesterday that a family member is seriously ill I want to quit. I am in a probationary period but my contract says I have to work four weeks notice. In these circumstances can the employer force me to work my notice? And are they likely to ask for evidence that the family member is unwell or something, 'cos I just think that would send me over the edge right now.

Comments

• Options
    If you're in your probationary period I thought you could leave whenever you wanted?
  • Options
    i thought so too... to be honest are you going to need a reference from them seeing as you've only been there 3 weeks? if not and they try and make you work 4 weeks and you really dont think you can, maybe just leave?
  • Options
    My general experience of probationary periods has been that it cuts the notice period, both ways.

I'm sure if you get in touch with the manager and explain the situation and that you want to leave asap they would do their best to be accomodating. From their point of view it's better that you're no longer in their employment than there but not working effectively and conntinually off on compassionate leave.
  • Options
    Well I signed a probationary contract and it stated that employees must give four weeks notice, regardless of how long they have been employed with the company.

Spoke to the supervisor yesterday though and she was very nice and understanding and said she would speak to the manager and was sure we would be able to sort something out which is reassuring.

Thanks for your replies guys I was just really worried about it yesterday!
  • Options
    All the best, if the supervisor is on your side then things are looking up.

Take care.