Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Battleship Potemkin

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
I've heard this is being given away with the Guardian this week, can anyone confirm which day

cheers
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    Nope. But it's a fucking great film. Everyone should watch it. Not least for the scene at the Odessa steps and the very end.
  • Options
    Like Rashomon, if you haven't seen it, its one of those films that will seem strangely familiar :D

Alexander Nevsky is also another classic Eisenstein worth watching :yes:
  • Options
    Saturday. Great film :thumb:
  • Options
    cheers, its £7 normally on amazon so if anyone doesn't own it I would seriously recommend snapping it up tomorrow
  • Options
    Is the red flag on the original film or was it superimposed at a later date?
  • Options
    As far as I'm aware it was part of the original film. It wasn't that unusal to use colour in black and white films. A film like the Impossible Voyage was filled with colour moments and effects - they all just have to be hand painted on each and every frame of each print.
  • Options
    Jim V wrote: »
    As far as I'm aware it was part of the original film. It wasn't that unusal to use colour in black and white films. A film like the Impossible Voyage was filled with colour moments and effects - they all just have to be hand painted on each and every frame of each print.

Really? I thought until the invention of colour telly, the world was black and white :)
  • Options
    Well obviously the Wizard of Oz and Snow White came out before the TV. And colour cinema has been around long before colour TV, but I wasn't sure if it was the projectors that only showed black and white as well as that being the limitation of the film itself.