Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Living at home

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Some of my friends still live at home and they're very uninvolved in uni. They have some friends here, but have mostly stuck with their friends from home, so only come onto campus for classes. Most students I know who live on campus are involved in clubs, sports, projects, etc, that the people living at home don't know about it/aren't interested in because "its too far."

I think thats a shame because I think uni's a great chance to get involved in loads of things that you rarely have the chance for otherwise. Also people who live off-campus seem to be less likely to attend classes - its too far etc.

It seems to be more of a school experience for them - only coming in for classes, etc, but its a wider experience for people who live here - involves more of our lives, if that makes sense.

Of course, all that's generalizations. I don't know how true it would be for you or your uni, but in my experience, thats what happened.
    It mainly comes down to yours and your parents attitude.

Most students have a lifestyle that is completely self centred, without having to think about anyone else or fit in round them. No one has cooked their dinner, or is expecting them home at a certain time. This obviously isn't the case when you live at home, but if you can work with that then will be fine.
    You could still apply for the accommodation and see if you get offered anything and if it is what you want. If that all falls through, you could stick to living with parents. It would take some arranging with loans etc. but at least that way you are keeping your options open.

I lived away for my first year of uni then at home for the last two years. I was lucky because through living away I'd already made friends, but I would imagine it can be quite difficult meeting people just through lectures as there isn't usually enough time to get to know anyone if you're just turning up for classes. If you're close then you could join socieites and clubs etc which would allow you to meet more people.

You do have to put a bit more effort in I think if you are living at home, but it doesn't mean you can't have a social life at uni at all.
    I live at home and I don't see any problem with it. I have a group of friends who I meet up with and when I have a break I go back to theirs and waste the time in Halls.

I don't agree with what Pringle said about less likely to attend classes. I try to attend all of mine and probably have a much higher attendance than most of my friends that are too lazy to get out of their beds 5 minutes away in Halls.

I agree with the fact about clubs etc. I would love to join a club and would be more involved if I lived in Halls but due to the Univeristy not having student parking I can't easily stay behind for any clubs and whenever events are on they usually hold them on the two days that I have off and to come in for 1 hour is pointless so I miss out on that aspect.

I think the best thing about living at home is that there are less distractions, you can get you work done and hopefully get a decent degree at the end.

You can always try it for the first year and then move out next year if it doesn't work for you.
    squeal wrote: »
    I don't agree with what Pringle said about less likely to attend classes. I try to attend all of mine and probably have a much higher attendance than most of my friends that are too lazy to get out of their beds 5 minutes away in Halls.
    Pringle wrote: »
    Of course, all that's generalizations. I don't know how true it would be for you or your uni, but in my experience, thats what happened.

But I know what you mean. I live on campus and the longest it takes me to get to a class (without stopping & chatting to a friend :blush: ) is 10 mins. For my friends who live off-campus, its quite a bit more. But I have lots of friends living on campus who are just lazy (lovely people but lazy) & find it too hard to get to classes despite being 5 minutes away :rolleyes:
    I agree with the fact about clubs etc. I would love to join a club and would be more involved if I lived in Halls but due to the Univeristy not having student parking I can't easily stay behind for any clubs.

Parking's the problem for one of my friends. If she's not here at 8 o'clock, she doesn't get a parking space, so she misses out on a lot of stuff.

Basically its easier to be involved in things if you live on campus, but living off-campus doesn't automatically mean you'll miss out on everything, you just have to work harder to make the most of it. I think a lot of it depends on your own motivation & how long/difficult the journey between home & uni really is. Don't forget issues like parking. In many cases, getting a bus pass is easier, but obviously that depends on your local buses, etc.
    You can always try it for the first year and then move out next year if it doesn't work for you.

:thumb: Sounds good.
    Hmm well i'm really up for getting as most out of uni as possible, and theres a bus that pretty frequent and pretty direct, and i was definately planning on joining clubs, so you all reckon as long as i make the effort then, i'm still going to get the social aspect of uni life as well?
    I see no reason why not. If you still live in the city where you are attending University then you definitely can. You can stay over at friends houses on nights out anyway or just make your own way home safely.
    My sister comes home from university quite regularly - she's home this very weekend, infact - and she doesn't suffer because of it at all. According to her, "it only affects your social life if you want it to".

EDIT: I suspect another factor is how involved you actually want to be. If making friends and such is very important to you, living in halls may be a better option, unless you live nearby. If your reasons for going to university are more to do with study and less to do with the social aspects, living away from the uni might be beneficial.
    Does your social life at uni suffer by living at home?

Yes.

I'm not sure if I agree. From my experience (I'm currently in my second year at university of leeds) the work load from 1st to 2nd year is a big jump. So although your suggestion sounds reasonable the chances are you wont have time for anywhere near as much partying and will probably be happier at home because you'll have the peace to get on with your work.

I now get a good night out about once a month. Next year will probably get more difficult so I am living with a couple of friends in a quiet area.

Hope that helps
    Steve
  • **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster

Most students have a lifestyle that is completely self centred, without having to think about anyone else or fit in round them. No one has cooked their dinner, or is expecting them home at a certain time.

In that case, I must still be a student ;)

I agree that as long as you make the effort you can still have a great social life :)
    I lived in halls for my first year and had a good time. I live at home now and my social life is better than it was when I was living in halls as I have more money! Although at my new university my campus is just a bus ride away so it's not too bad and all my friends are at the same campus too :)
    hmm i reckon i'll apply for accomodation but if i dont get anything live at home and see how it goes, move out in 2nd year maybe.
    Having lived in both worlds so to speak, living away from home whilst at uni is miles better!
    For my first year i lived with my parents which was about a 20 minute bus ride away from uni, this (2nd) year i love with 5 of my friends in an apartment bang in the centre of things.
    My attendance at uni is probably about the same as last year, my social life has improved greatly but then my fundage has dropped sharply.
    Depends what you want from life really, i absolutely adore living with my mates and cant imagine indefinately living back with my parents again.
    I did go out a fair bit last year but it was all planned and i missed out on a lot of things imo. Most of my nights out are decided about 10 minutes before they happen so if i lived 20 minutes away still i'd miss out on a lot.
    In my first year I lived at home...and I missed out loads! Now I'm 2nd year and I thought I'd give halls a go, and I am so glad I did - we have a good mix in our halls, from 1st yrs to masters students, so it's not all mental! And, like icey, our nights out are also decided about 10 minutes before they happen, and I like being in the middle of things! I definitely prefer living away from home, and should anything happen i'm only about an hour away from my house.