Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

where to go with Virgin train tics??

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
the bf won a pair of first class Virgin train tickets in work t'other day and we wanna go a daytrip! recommend please. we live in Glasgow, ken.
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    Well if its Virgin it pretty much limits you to Edinburgh, Carlisle, Oxenholme, Penrith, Lancaster, Preston, Wigan, Warrington, Rugby, Nuneaton, Tamworth, Manchester, Birmingham, Wolverhampton, Watford or London really!

Go to London for the day and milk the freebies (although at four hours each way you might wanna stay over perhaps over the weekend?) They do superb meals for free in first (massive full english on the morning) then full 3 course jobbie on the way back, normally can blag yourself some wine.
  • Options
    I went first class with Virgin between Newcastle and Derby. All I ended up with was the square root of fuck all. Not even a free newspaper :(

TBH, I wouldnt bother with first class on trains anymore. Its really not worth the money.

Back to the question: I would go to Manchester or maybe have a weekend in London, what about Newcastle ?

:thumb:
  • Options
    JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    Calvin wrote: »
    I went first class with Virgin between Newcastle and Derby. All I ended up with was the square root of fuck all. Not even a free newspaper :(

TBH, I wouldnt bother with first class on trains anymore. Its really not worth the money.

Back to the question: I would go to Manchester or maybe have a weekend in London, what about Newcastle ?

:thumb:

Worth remembering that Virgin no longer run the Crosscountry franchise so that wipes off Newcastle and a lot of other places.

Crosscountry First class was normally mediocre, great in the morning for the full breakfast but crap on the weekend. West Coast is absolutely superb in First class during the week and pretty good at weekend.
  • Options
    JsT wrote: »
    Well if its Virgin it pretty much limits you to Edinburgh, Carlisle, Oxenholme, Penrith, Lancaster, Preston, Wigan, Warrington, Rugby, Nuneaton, Tamworth, Manchester, Birmingham, Wolverhampton, Watford or London really!

excellent choice sir!
  • Options
    Calvin wrote: »

The seats are really comfy though :) Although I haven't tried them on Virgin