Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

resigning

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
how do you go about resigning?

i dont need a letter do i?

im supposed to give 2 weeks notice, but some potential employers want you to start asap, so is it ok to book 2 weeks holiday and just leave?

my holiday year started on jan 1st, and ive had 7 days off so far.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    put it in writing.

you wont have acrued enough holidays to take 2 weeks holidays paid if your hols started jan 1st, if you can live without the money maybe you'll be able to do that, but its not very fair in my eyes.

if its 2 weeks, give them 2 weeks, employers understand people need to work notices, and as far as notices go, 2 weeks isnt that bad.

if you really cant wait 2 weeks your best bet is gonna just walk and live with the concequences.
    How many days holiday do you get a year? as unless you get a stupidly large amount i doubt you would have worked long enough to accrue 7 days holiday, so they'd prob take some of it out of your final wage.
    well at a job interview yesterday he was asking me how soon could i start, cos he was extremely understaffed.

i wouldnt like to go in one day and tell them i wont be coming back. i have friends there and i would like to finish on a friday so we can all go the pub afterwards.

basically, if i was offered a job, i would want to finish that week where i am and then go. theres always temps available to cover, so a few days notice is enough for them really.

plus if i was already offered a decent job elsewhere, a reference from my current job wouldnt be important, would it?

If offered a job, should i not resign until i have signed the paperwork on the new one?
    Well, if you resign with a letter, you give them a bit of time to get things ready. PLUS you get your benefits and last pay later. But if you just resign with out a letter, its kinda informal, and to some companies it's considered AWOL. You wouldn't get yer last pay and benefits if you do that even if you were there for more than 6 months.

Advice your soon to be new employer to get your stuff fixed first. talk it out
    the only way i have eve done it is go to work, boss calls you to their office and in a different phrase tells me Ive just resigned
    drumbeat wrote: »

plus if i was already offered a decent job elsewhere, a reference from my current job wouldnt be important, would it?

If offered a job, should i not resign until i have signed the paperwork on the new one?

they will most likely check references after you have been offered a job; every job i have had that has been the case. you tend to give referee info with your contract.
    drumbeat wrote: »
    well at a job interview yesterday he was asking me how soon could i start, cos he was extremely understaffed.

i wouldnt like to go in one day and tell them i wont be coming back. i have friends there and i would like to finish on a friday so we can all go the pub afterwards.

basically, if i was offered a job, i would want to finish that week where i am and then go. theres always temps available to cover, so a few days notice is enough for them really.

If you're on a 2 week notice period then when you are asked when you can start you say "in 2 weeks". Generally in the business world 2 weeks is a short notice period anyway.

You seem to have already justified to yourself why you can just leave with whatever notice period you like, but the legal position is that you have to give your 2 weeks, so, if you don't, be prepared not to get paid for it. Your employer might be nice to you, but they are not oblidged to.

Normally it is accepted to resign by letter, unless you have a very informal working environment. If you have a written contract, then basically you should resign by letter. Obviously it's best to tell your manager first and not just give them a letter.

Refernces from your previous position would normally be checked by your next employer. If you walked out on your notice period that may be reflected in your reference, though it may not. It depends.

Common sense says not to resign until you have a written offer of the job.
    VinylVicky wrote: »
    the only way i have eve done it is go to work, boss calls you to their office and in a different phrase tells me Ive just resigned

chuckles