Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Giving up jobseeking?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I've been unemployed for a year and a month now, and I was looking forward to starting some temp work, checking marks for an exam board, when I got dismissed just for having my mobile phone on.. about ten seconds before I was going to switch it off :banghead:

So it's back to the same (although I'm trying to appeal). Or is it? Should I even bother if it is this difficult to find work? Is it possible just to give up searching for work until someone forces me to do something e.g. New Deal?

Also any tips on at least pretending to seem busy if I forget about searching for work, as I am the type who finds it very painful to be regarded as a layabout?

You have to bear in mind that I have been trying very hard, and have managed to get interviews as well. I basically just want to get into something semi-reasonable just so that I don't have to bother anymore and can just get on with working so the 'What do you want to do?' question is a bit wasted on me!

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Volunteer work, maybe in an industry you'd be interested in working for later. That way it looks good on your CV & can be useful experience, or can give you ideas about what you want to do.
    Not a bad idea, and one that I'm pursuing. I would have thought it tends to be only charities that offer that though. Not that there's anything wrong with helping people, but I wasn't aware that other industries offered it, that's all?
    Maybe you can find a charity thats related to an industry you're interested in. I'm not sure, depends what you're interested in.
    Pringle wrote: »
    Maybe you can find a charity thats related to an industry you're interested in. I'm not sure, depends what you're interested in.

Many things. I will have a look around. Cheers for the advice :thumb:
    i think charity work sounds good, it might build up your self esteem and gives you a bit of experience so you dont get even further into the rut youre already in.
    It isn't just charities that will take volunteers, if you approach companies asking for work experience/work shadowing then companies will often take people on :)
    Acrobat wrote: »
    It isn't just charities that will take volunteers, if you approach companies asking for work experience/work shadowing then companies will often take people on :)

Ah yes. I have asked companies about this, only locally though. May be worth trying other areas.

It seems that there is some work in the pipeline now. A bit basic (delivering leaflets) but should give me some money so that is a good start.

One thing I've never really thought about is when people apply for a job in a distant area, how do they sort out the interview process? I guess for housing they must just rent for a while and buy a house there eventually if they want to do that?
    this site has a really good sister site called do-it.org which has loads of volunteering opportunities
    this site has a really good sister site called do-it.org which has loads of volunteering opportunities

Indeed. I have checked there, but thanks for letting me know.