Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Landlords/Estate Agents

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Jesus I'm annoyed.

Basically, my flat is on the market cause my landlord is selling up. I was in here on my own, till the landlords mother comes in unannounced on Sunday (this happens a lot, she never gives notice) and asks if my old flatmate is here yet, I dunno what she's on about, but she told me my ex flatmate is moving back in on a short term basis and she arrived about 5 minutes later.

Landlord didn't bother to tell me any of this.

Then tonight I was meant to be out at the football but it got called off, was watching the news when the door goes - an estate agent about to do a viewing. And she got really arsey when I said I didn't know anybody was coming "Ooooh well we told your landlord!!" (granted she was hot, but still)

Again, landlord didn't bother his arse mentioning it. Apparently there's been a load of similar viewing going on but I've either been at work or out so I've not known people have been in my room etc. Just happened to be in this time.

He lives in London and is busy, but what the fuck? He needs to be giving me notice for this sort of shit, surely? I've tried to phone, but lo and behold it's going to voicemail. Only yesterday I was texting him to ask if there were any viewings then to let me know.

For all anybody knew I could have been in the shower, entertaining guests, shagging in my room or anything.

I'll try and phone him again, any ideas as to what to do if it happens again?

Comments

• Options
    BunnieBunnie Posts: 6,099 Master Poster
    He does need to give you notice, I think it is 24 hours, but have a glance through your contract.

You didnt need to allow the estate agent in without prior warning.

I personally would leave the place in a mess, coz people would be less likely to buy if the place is a tip.

With regards to your ex flatmate coming back, I dont think they would need to say anything as it sounds like you are renting a room rather than the flat, so they can bring in whoever if there is a room free.
  • Options
    Bunnie wrote: »
    He does need to give you notice, I think it is 24 hours, but have a glance through your contract.

:yes:

Unless it says otherwise in your contract, tell the landlord to fuck off until he gives you 24 hours notice.

We had problems with our landlord sending people around to look at the house day and night. One evening we had about 5 groups of 5 people around. In the end we told them we had rats and had been burgled 5 times.

Seemed to do the trick, landlord couldn't sell the property. We cut a deal in the end, he returns our full deposit and gives us a glowing reference and we help him fill his house. :D

Morale of the story, blackmail works a treat ;)
  • Options
    Calvin wrote: »

Morale of the story, blackmail works a treat ;)

This kids knows what he is talking about Bri!
  • Options
    With regards to your ex flatmate coming back, I dont think they would need to say anything as it sounds like you are renting a room rather than the flat, so they can bring in whoever if there is a room free.

Don't have a problem sharing with her, it'd have been nice to get some notice though.

And I'm getting seriously pissed off with the landlord's mother coming round whenever it suits. It wouldn't be so bad if she said she was coming and rang the bell, but once she popped round for a little spring clean at half ten on a Saturday night when I had folk in the flat!
    Calvin wrote: »
    Seemed to do the trick, landlord couldn't sell the property. We cut a deal in the end, he returns our full deposit and gives us a glowing reference and we help him fill his house.

Very devious :thumb:

I'm happy enough for him to sell his flat (I'm moving out in March to live with my friend by the looks of it) but I'm not really up for estate agents coming round with no notice or anything.
  • Options
    Does your landlord even know his mum drops by? What is her purpose? She also has to give 24 hours notice as a representative I presume.

Can you threaten to change the locks? I mean you are probably breaching your contract, but at the same time so is he.
  • Options
    Does your landlord even know his mum drops by? What is her purpose? She also has to give 24 hours notice as a representative I presume.

Well becasue he's down working in London and stuff he seems to leave it all to his Mum. Her purpose seems to be to nosey about and do jobs round the flat that don't even need doing.

I wouldn't mind if she phoned me beforehand and said she was coming down, but she just lets herself in with her keys whenever she wants. I know when her days off are i.e when she's likely to make a flying visit, but I can't invite anybody round on a Saturday night or whatever because she's got a habit of turning up first thing on a bloody Sunday y'know?
    Can you threaten to change the locks? I mean you are probably breaching your contract, but at the same time so is he.

It's all very civil at the moment, I don't think it's really worth it f I'm moving out in March anyway. I'd rather rise above it and keep to my terms, even if half the time my landlord pisses me off immenesley.
  • Options
    do you have a normal yale lock on the fron tdoor? if so, put the catch or the chain on if not and then don't have to worry about her getting in uninvited :thumb: