Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Stop slippy soles!

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I have some boots which I love madly, but they were from a cheapy shop, and thus the soles are made of shitty plastic and slippy as all hell.

I've been trying to deal with it, but today I was walking a bit too fast, slipped again and fell over. So not only did I look a prize twat, I also connected knees and concrete and hurt myself :o

Sob story over, it's becoming a bit of a health and safety nightmare. Can I un-slippy my soles?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I have the same problems with cheap boots. I've heard either sanding or scoring the soles with a knife helps make them un-slippy.
    Yup^^
    As will rubbing with sandpaper
    I'm not sure that'd work, cause I've already worn them a fair bit, and the soles are scratched and dented and whatnot, but STILL dangerous! :(
    Get them resoled with plastic grip like I do for my (men's) shoes (wet smooth leather soles = deathtrap), can't see why it wouldn't work for boots as well.
    Get them resoled with plastic grip like I do for my (men's) shoes (wet smooth leather soles = deathtrap), can't see why it wouldn't work for boots as well.

Thanks, that seems like it could work.

Is it a DIY job, or do you need to take them to the cobblers? Do they even have cobblers anymore? God, I'm so undereducated about shoes. I've been living in trainers since I left school!
    kaffrin wrote: »
    Thanks, that seems like it could work.

Is it a DIY job, or do you need to take them to the cobblers? Do they even have cobblers anymore? God, I'm so undereducated about shoes. I've been living in trainers since I left school!

They do still have them, although it's been a while since I've heard them called that! Same place where you can generally get keys cut and women have broken heels fixed on their shoes :p Think it cost me £12 for last pair of shoes I had done.
    We have the BEST little cobbler shop near our house, I'd say getting them resoled with a more substantial sole is the only solution. The cheapy plastic soles seem to just be made worse by scoring or sanding them, it certainly doesn't seem to make them any more durable or safe anyhow.

He will resole any shoes and I get all my winter boots and shoes done there because they always refuse at the "high street" places, say "nowt can be done love, chuck 'em out". He's a star. Shady-looking backstreet places are the best bet... and less than half the price :thumb:
    Well, I live in Barnsley, I don't think we have anything BUT shady-looking backstreet places!

Thank you :yippe:
    oh kaff i thought you lived in leeds. there's an absolutley brilliant cobbler in the merrion market. hmm, cheap too.
    I did, but love has drawn me southwards!

Nowt to stop me wandering back up, though! I shall try Mr Merrion Man if I can't locate anything suitable in the vicinity. Ta :)
    well he charges about..£4 i think for reheeling and a few other procedures..which is half what i pay down south!