Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

p46 question...

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
hard to explain....hope you get what i mean....

i have recently got a new job, they sent me forms to fill in, bank details, medical questions, etc

one my p46 it gives me 3 options "this is my only job" i have another job as well as this one" and "i do not work"

now the thing is, at the minute i already have a job, part time, 18hrs a week, i dont have to pay any tax as i earn below £100 a week.

i handed my notice in yesterday, and will continue to work there for 3 weeks notice...at the same time i will be training for my new job

so 8-1 (new job training @ £6.56 p/h)
then 6-9 (my job which i am currently working notice for)

so my question is...which box do i tick?

i am not due to get my first months pay until feb 28th...by which time, it will be my only job as i'd have worked my 3weeks notice and left

suppose i should ring up and ask...but just thought i'd see if anyone on here had an idea 1st..thanks in advance

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    i would tick the i have another job as well as this, purely because even tho you dont pay tax it still counts towards your earnings, when you finish there you will get a P45 anyway which will clear up any problems
    Give payroll at your new place a call, because the jobs follow on you can probably tick the one job thing. If you can there's less likely to be a tax screwup.
  • BunnieBunnie Posts: 6,099 Master Poster
    I would personally tick one job coz they have never sorted my tax out straight away, even with a P45, I seem to end up on emergency tax,

I am sure that is wrong and immoral mind you, so perhaps give them a call.
    Tick "I have another job as well as this one box". Even though you dont earn enough to pay tax it still counts towards your tax free allowance. You will probably end up on emergency tax if your P45 doesnt get to the payroll department in time for your first payslip.

If you tick "this is my only job" when your P45 does get to you payroll department you might get taxed a bit hefitly on your payslips for the rest of the tax year.
    Phone your local Tax Office and ask. The Payroll dept of your new employer won't (or shouldn't!) be able to help as they are not tax experts and can't give tax advice.

I'm (working as a HR Administrator and dealing with P45/46s daily) not even allowed to suggest which statement new starters tick; they have to work it out for themselves.

To help you find the number of your local office:- http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/local/individuals/index.htm
    Another plan would be to get in touch with Payroll at the new place and ask if they can wait until you finish at the old place for the form....