Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Feelings

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
How would you feel if your partner was friends with someone you hate?

Is it rational to feel uncomfortable?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I thought I posted this in 'relationships'
  • BunnieBunnie Posts: 6,099 Master Poster
    I really dislike one of my bf's friends, and my bf knows this.

I wouldnt say it was irrational at all.

PS. If you click on Thread Tools at the top of the thread and select Move Thread, you can move it into relationships :)
    It would make me uncomfortable to no end.

but I think it also is important to know, why you hate him, why they are friends etc. (f.e. Is he befriending her as revenge, because you hate him?)

I am in a similar constellation, because I have friends from uni, where one party dislikes the other (without the other party knowing). I can live with that, but it's probably nothing compared to a partner.

/e: and by reading bunnie's post.
    If my (straight) partner, would be friends with a girl who I hate, it would be o.k. for me, when I do not have to hang out with her.

If she was good friends with a dude I hate (he maybe made advances to her at some time), then it would bother me.

may I ask you bunnie, why you hate him? It's just that I can't put myself in your place. I think the friends a person has, tells much about the person itself. And I would ask myself why my partner is friends with someone so stupid (in my opinion then...)
    StrubbleS wrote: »
    It would make me uncomfortable to no end.

but I think it also is important to know, why you hate him, why they are friends etc. (f.e. Is he befriending her as revenge, because you hate him?)

I am in a similar constellation, because I have friends from uni, where one party dislikes the other (without the other party knowing). I can live with that, but it's probably nothing compared to a partner.

/e: and by reading bunnie's post.
    If my (straight) partner, would be friends with a girl who I hate, it would be o.k. for me, when I do not have to hang out with her.

If she was good friends with a dude I hate (he maybe made advances to her at some time), then it would bother me.

may I ask you bunnie, why you hate him? It's just that I can't put myself in your place. I think the friends a person has, tells much about the person itself. And I would ask myself why my partner is friends with someone so stupid (in my opinion then...)

he treated my bf badly, and is a rude and obnoxious dick! He has no morals and treats his girlfriend appaullingly.

He is still in the same group of friends unfortunately. I do like all his other mates but I cannot stand him!
    Bunnie wrote: »
    he treated my bf badly,

and why is your b/f still befriended with him?
    StrubbleS wrote: »
    and why is your b/f still befriended with him?

That is his choice - I think it is through ease more than anything else as they are all in one group but he knows my feelings on him.
    i dont like a few of my girlfriends male friends purely for the simple reason that i know if she were to get really drunk or stoned while they were about then they would try to take advantage of her without a doubt, in my opinion this makes them not friends at all as friends dont do that to eachother, she knows they would as well but still insists they are her friends anyway, they also drive stoned which really pisses me off, if they want to kill emselves fine but if my girlfriend is ever hurt driving with them then they're dead
    You guys have good reasons to hate. :p I absoutly despise one of my boyfriends friends... and now business partner so he's over all the time. Purely because he is the loudest most obnixious annoying arrogant person I have ever met. And I mean loud :\
    I've been on the other side, my then girlfriend couldn't stand one of my friends and the feeling was mutual - really did my box in for a while because my friend tried to warn me off her and my girlfriend literally wanted to lamp my friend (can't beat a bit of class, eh?)

It's easier to deal with if people can keep it buttoned when they need to, even if there's not much mutual love there y'know?
    How would you feel if your partner was friends with someone you hate?

Is it rational to feel uncomfortable?
    I think it is rational to feel uncomfortable.

I avoided a relationship recently, partially because I didn't trust or like her friend (and thus... Birds of a feather ect ect).