Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

hair dye q.

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
i dyed my hair a while ago and it went reaaaaaly dark, nearly black (was spsd to be med brown i think) i decided to wait for it to fade cos i figured nothing would cover it with it been so dark. so i washed my hair with head and shoulders (supposed to make hair dye fade) and dyed my hair again. it had lightened a fair bit, and although you could see my roots there was a massive difference. dyed it with light brown dye i think. my roots from before i dyed it are now really noticable and im guessing the same things gonna happen if i dye my hair again.

what can i do other than stripping it?? i cant afford to get it done at hairdressers either.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    the only thing you can do is to get a dye the same colour as what you hair is now, apply it to JUST THE ROOTS, that will then make them the same colour as the rest, leave for a few days if you can to give ya hair a rest THEN apply the colour you want on top.

then it should all be one colour, t'is what i did...i was medium brown (with blonde roots) so i did my roots then re-did the all over colour (plum)

my mate did what you did, she's nearly black...needed her roots doin but fancied a change so got mahogany...needless to say her hair stayed black and her roots went red haha
    x
    In most hairdyes I've used there's normally two sets of instructions. The first being if you're dying your hair the first time, and the second if you've previously dyed it. The second is usually along the lines of applying the colour to the roots for a third/whatever of the total time, then massaging it through the rest of the hair for the remaining time.
    cheers both of you, getting it done at hairdressers on monday now, bfs gonna go halfs with me so it doesn't cost as much :D
    Kiezo wrote: »
    In most hairdyes I've used there's normally two sets of instructions. The first being if you're dying your hair the first time, and the second if you've previously dyed it. The second is usually along the lines of applying the colour to the roots for a third/whatever of the total time, then massaging it through the rest of the hair for the remaining time.

think thats usually only if ya using the same colour..for example, if you usually use loreal chestnut....got roots and wanna do it loreal chestnut again

because if not, no matter now much longer you leave it on ya roots, it wont be the same colour as the rest because you're dying two different hair colours

thats my experience anyhoo
    x
    Littleali wrote: »
    think thats usually only if ya using the same colour..for example, if you usually use loreal chestnut....got roots and wanna do it loreal chestnut again

Well yeah, I thought it would be a given if it's two different colours it's going to turn out differently. Simple logic.
    Kiezo wrote: »
    Well yeah, I thought it would be a given if it's two different colours it's going to turn out differently. Simple logic.

well yeah thats what i was saying

your suggestion of leaving it on longer would only work if she was using the same colour dye she's used previously (so i gave another suggestion) ..........tis what i said...non?