Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

making new friends

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I'm in a bit of a rut,I want to make some new friends but not having much luck.
I have quite a few friends but they are all at uni. I decided not to go to uni as I was offered a great job but that leaves alot of time on my own.

I have hobbies such as going to the gym and stuff most people who are 20like.

Any tips on other ways to make friends which wont cost the earth? as im going travelling in a 11 months with my partner so need to put most of my money towards that.

Any tips will be great or anyone in the same situation as me PM me!

Comments

• Options
    sorry, no real tips. I find that not saying no to anything that involves going somewhere social is quite good. I've been invited to an engagement party of a vauge friend of a friend that I barely know, I won't know anyone there apart from him (sort of!) but i'm going to go anyway, then use the old "so how do you know dave" line to start talking to people.

I'm kind of in the same situation, except having only just come out of uni means i'm at home while all my mates have moved away and live with girlfriends etc. I spend probably 4-5 nights of the week sitting on my own doing nothing, the other 2-3 i'm down the gym.
  • Options
    Have you got any other hobbies you could take part in. Or what about doing some of the classes at the gym?

I moved 250 miles from most of my friends last Sept and whilst I have loads of mates through work here now I'm starting to feel the need to broaden my friendship group and find people away from work. So I'm going to start trampolining, join an amature dramatics group and when the weather gets a bit better start kayaking.
  • Options
    I shall simply give you this piece of advice. When I first heard this as a teenager, it was advice that admittedly, I ignored. Mind you, if I'd followed this over the years, I might now actually have some mates instead of being some kind of friend-repellent freak. But I digress...

If you are asked out by friends, avoid saying "no" unless you have a 100% genuine reason for having to turn it down.
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote: »
    If you are asked out by friends, avoid saying "no" unless you have a 100% genuine reason for having to turn it down.

Very hard to do sometimes, but so true, try and say yes to everything like that and stick to it. You'll be glad you did after.
  • Options
    There are book groups run all over the place, they are a great way to stretch your mind a bit and meet people.
  • Options
    I try to make myself seem approachable. I say hello and try to make conversation. Also smiling in a friendly way is good..not in a psycho I want to play with your blood kinda way. Have you made friends at your new workplace? Maybe you can build on that. I noticed that it was really daunting back at school but most people are pretty friendly in adulthood and will make conversation with you.