Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

house party

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
i'm having a house party at the weekend because my parents are going away- to people who have had them, any tips on how to make your party good/prevent your place getting trashed whilst still having a good time? i've only invited people i know and trust so hopefully won't get out of hand!

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    dont bother is my advice, you may have invited people you "trust" but they'll have mentioned it to others and all sorts will turn up.

talking from experience here.

i've had alsorts happen, from my car being crashed into a tree in a garden, front door hanging off, garage broken, broken windows.

all good fun at the time and all paid for by the people who did it, but its a pain in the arse at the time and takes a shine off the night that went before.
    Clear everything away first. Put sheets on the floor in case of spilled drinks. Make some rooms out of bounds. (although people may ignore).

Have stuff to do like singstar, games etc, rather than just all drinking.
    Make sure there are lots of drinks and snacks. get some plastic cups if you prefer... and some good music.
  • **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    katchika wrote: »
    Clear everything away first. Put sheets on the floor in case of spilled drinks. Make some rooms out of bounds. (although people may ignore).

Have stuff to do like singstar, games etc, rather than just all drinking.

:yes: You might also find TheSite's house party checklist helpful. :)
    post the address on the internet - that way, we know where to send the police at 2am
    put anything valuable etc out of the way and try to restrict it to people you know/trust

chances are a few extra people are gonna show up, only allow em up if you have faith in the person who wants to bring ems judgement!

be prepared for multiple spillages, odd thing knocked over and your fridge raided etc .. not to sound sexist but i made sure i have a few females on standby the next mornin to tidy up :D

try not to let any headers in .. last party i had resulted in a lunatic in the middle of the street with a huge kitchen knife and 5 police cars .. :o
    I'm assuming you want your house trashing and complaints from the neighbours, make sure it's advertised on Myspace.
    I can guarantee that if you're under 16 word about your party will have got out, and the 15 trusted friends will become 30-50 gatecrashers.

Seriously though, get the number for the local police handy, you will get gatecrashers and the only chance you've got of getting rid of them is calling the police early instead of at 4am when your house has been set on fire.

Oh, and hide your valuables.
    Yea, me and my aunt were in the house and sister arranged a party with 5 or 10 friends.

About 80 kids turned up (well, I say that - 3/4 were 13/14 year old girls and there was a group of much older guys - perverts with drugs and drink no doubt). We wouldn't let them in so they started trying to climb over the fence, banging on the door, throwing stones at the windows... real zombie movie type stuff. The police came but didn't arrest anyone, they just move people on and confiscate the alcohol.

We were left to clean it up.
    Try and keep in control to a certain extent, don't get completely off your face yourself (at least not until much later in the evening).

It's not a watertight method, but if you keep yourself in the hostess role and have you answer the door, you can attempt to limit who comes.
    borrow a shotgun

just in case.
    Employ some Large Men to act as bouncers.
    jeez....talk about overreaction.
    drumbeat wrote: »
    jeez....talk about overreaction.

I'm not over-reacting, I'm retelling from my own experience :p it's a bad fucking idea. A girl my sister knows who lives round the corner had a house party - all her mums jewellery that was hidden away in a jewellery box in the wardrobe got nicked at a house party. Apparently about £4K worth!

I've had 'parties' or more like socials. Where there have only been 5-10 people. Involving chilli, and computer games, and TV, and normally towards the end of the evening silly spin the bottle games. But those who are looking for a massive house party, well in my experience it's going to all end in tears.
    It's not really an overreaction.

The only decent house party is one held in somebody else's house.
    I've had a couple of very good house parties, with nothing going missing, nothing getting broken etc. Then again, we only invited people we actually knew, and they were not allowed to bring extra guests. We ended up with 50-60 people, all having a great time!

I think a factor in this was that we are all in our 20-30s...

Just keep the invite list strict, and only invite people you know. No guests, unless explicit prior permission has been sought, but even then...

We had a few people try to walk in off the street, but due to the party being fancy dress (always a good 'security' measure), and these guys were not dressed as such, they were quickly turned away at the door and politely told to fuck off.
    Plastic cups are a must, saves washing glasses out and clearing up broken ones. Make sure valubles are put somewhere safe, if you have neighbours just pop round and tell them that your having a party that way they wont be suprised by lots of people turning up at your house and loud music.
  • BunnieBunnie Posts: 6,099 Master Poster
    My mum kicked me because of my house party (thats the only reason I can think of) so dont take it lightly!

I was 16!