Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Big companies & Unfair treatment

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Me again. Alright to save me giving details, just consider this scenario. Person applies for a job with a big company that requires an extended criminal check. Person gets the job but fails the criminal check for whatever reason. Job withdrawn. Fair enough, yeh?

Now, same person applies to same company for another job. Gets job interview but is told just before said interview that they shouldn't turn up because of what happened last time.

Is the company right to do this? Shouldn't each application be treated separately? Do extenuating circumstances or unfair treatment last time count for anything?

Lastly, is there any known way to 'go round' a large company that one thinks is biased and discriminatory and get someone impartial to look at the case?

Cheers.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Am assuming that this refers to the problems you've been having with your CRB.

I don't know much about employment law, but would have thought that assuming the new job also requires a clear CRB disclosure it would be perfectly reasonable for them to say not to bother coming to the interview. Why should they bother to interview when they know you're not going to get a clear disclosure.

Would have thought that before you take things any further with said 'big company' you need to sort out the CRB side of things, because at the moment everything they've got points to you having lied to them.

Talk to CRB and the police and find out what's going on, did you misunderstand the caution at the time, has it been recorded incorrectly by the police or is it being disclosed incorrectly by the CRB. Until that's resolved you're not going to have a lot of joy on the job front, and if you try and complain to anyone the first thing they are going to say is show that you didn't lie or that the disclosure should in fact be clear.

Yes, you are having a hard time, but at the moment you can't blame 'big company' for that.
    i agree with Scarymonster, why should they waste time and money interviewing you when you failed your check last time?

no company is under any obligation at all to interview any candidate if they wish to choose so.

as has been said you need to go about sorting your other problems before applying to that same company, if not all companies that do a CRB check on you.

:no:
    ashhu wrote: »

Lastly, is there any known way to 'go round' a large company that one thinks is biased and discriminatory and get someone impartial to look at the case?

Cheers.

I'm not sure what you have to gain there. Eventually it's going to come down to a choice between, say, you and someone else. If you haven't got a clean check and the job requires it then that choice doesn't even exist. The firm has to employ the other person. No amount of perceived discrimination will override the existing law over who they can hire.
    At the end of the day, if you've got 2 applicants, both as skilled/experienced as each other, but one has a criminal record, the company goes for the person without the record.
    One of the long-term pitfalls of getting into trouble.
    hnng

Thanks for the replies. Yeh I can see it from that point of view too. I was just wondering if they were contravening their fair treatment policies i.e. having a record does not bar people from work there.

And they were rude.
    Sadly rudeness isn't really contravening any fair treatment policies.

Lying during the application process is both a good enough reason to not give someone a job, or to fire someone once they've been given the job. At the moment it appears to them that that's what you've done. I realise you disagree with this, but until you get the CRB thing resolved this problem will stand.

Do also bear in mind that this CRB issue will keep coming up every time you fill in a CRB form.
    Ah yes that's quite true Scary Monster. However, if I went to another employer and admitted to my caution, it would not bar me from working there. Sure I'd have to explain myself, and of course there is the possibility they wouldn't employ me anyway, but it's the admission of the thing that is important as far as I can tell.

I now understand, at least, that the bottom line is this: get my criminal record sorted.
    :yes:

You may also find that you have slightly fewer problems with another employer who has a less generic application process. NHS one can be a bit odd because a lot of it is the same regardless of the job.
    It also depends on the role which you are taking in the NHS too...
    I've no doubt, Scary Monster, that were I given the chance to explain this thing personally, I would have got the job hands down. That's actually where I believe I was treated unfairly: NHS policy gives all applicants a fair hearing to explain things like cautions, which I wasn't.
    ashhu wrote: »
    I've no doubt, Scary Monster, that were I given the chance to explain this thing personally, I would have got the job hands down. That's actually where I believe I was treated unfairly: NHS policy gives all applicants a fair hearing to explain things like cautions, which I wasn't.

To explain things like cautions, which you said in the other thread that you didnt declare!