Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Why is Japan allowed to get away with research Whaling?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I'm not so opposed to Whaling if they're honest and say that people in Japan like Whale meat and want to eat it but I think it stupid this charade of it being for research purposes is allowed to continue

http://www.guardian.co.uk/japan/story/0,,2229370,00.html

http://www.guardian.co.uk/japan/story/0,,2231050,00.html

Comments

• Options
    Japan lies. Badly. It's what they do.

Hell, they're still being dicks about Nanking. At least Germany have taken steps to make up for their bad historical past.

EDIT: But let's not go off on a tangent about that v.gif
  • Options
    *prays for icebergs to sink the cunts*
  • Options
    You? Pray?? Will we be seeing you in Sunday mass by any chance? :lol:

:p
  • Options
    No, but if every single whaling boat collides with an iceberg and sinks, I will start believing in God :D
  • Options
    At least the New Aussie PM seems to be doing something.

By law the Japanese HAVE to sell the meat for food so their research efforts aren't wasted - how dumb is that - it's such an obvious con job.

If they want to eat Whale meat then just be honest about it.

Putting it all under the banner of research makes the rest of the world look stupid.
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Because Japan has all the big technology companies, and therefore money? Duh.

At least the Chinese occasionally ram or shoot thier whaling boats for intruding on Chinese waters - which they stole off Japan.

Ho hum.
  • Options
    DG wrote: »
    At least the New Aussie PM seems to be doing something.

with 1 armed vessel...?
  • Options
    They do it because hunting them to eat is illegal. Research whaling isn't.

The Icelandic government did the same, but they've drastically cut back the quota on whaling or quit altogether (don't remember which it was) for a simple reason; no one wants the meat. Got nothing to do with research. Think it was more of a 'because we can' action anyway. No one in Iceland understood the logic behind hunting the whales. :rolleyes:

If it's certain that the Japanese aren't hunting endangered whale species (no, not all of them are endangered) I do think they have a certain right to. I personally don't care for killing them especially with the methods used today but I actually think that if there were more humane ways it's something that could be justified in some cases.
  • Options
    I'm sure I heard somewhere that whale meat actually isn't that nice and that they use it in school dinners as "mystery meat"? Or was that something else :chin:.
  • Options
    SailorTiedAP_468x547.jpg

owned.
  • Options
    minimi38 wrote: »
    SailorTiedAP_468x547.jpg

owned.

HAHAH.

No, someone really should step in with Japan. They seem to get away with alot of shit. ;/
  • Options
    owned.

I think it's the Japanese whalers who have been owned. Thanks to the actions of these men and his colleagues, and the Greenpeace ship also in the area, the whalers have been unable to catch a single whale for over a week. They have been hounded out of the area and charges for illegal kidnapping and a full diplomatic incident might follow.

Fuck the cunts. Too bad they haven't run into an iceberg.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote: »
    I think it's the Japanese whalers who have been owned. Thanks to the actions of these men and his colleagues, and the Greenpeace ship also in the area, the whalers have been unable to catch a single whale for over a week. They have been hounded out of the area and charges for illegal kidnapping and a full diplomatic incident might follow.

Fuck the cunts. Too bad they haven't run into an iceberg.

The easy method is to buy a Russian Sub from the Red Mafya. Then go hunting.

I am still enjoying the Rebel Helmet the most though.
  • Options
    im pretty sure boarding someone else's boat is illegal. a pirate. a hippy pirate.

throw overboard pls.
  • Options
    SailorTiedAP_468x547.jpg

It could just be an innocent bondage session and some oral sex.
  • Options
    Because they're the 2nd largest economy in the world. The same reason why all the large economies, including ours can get away with all the shit that we get away with.
  • Options
    Because they're the 2nd largest economy in the world. The same reason why all the large economies, including ours can get away with all the shit that we get away with.

Norway and Iceland get away with it too. Iceland and Japan allow 'scientific' whaling, Norway is the only country to allow commercial whaling. I find whaling abhorrent but tbh whatever the rest of the world says if it's in international waters then not a lot can be done...

Of course whilst Norway and Iceland aren't in the EU, both are in the EEA and have access to the single market... the EU has the scope to threaten them and bring them into line. But - then I'm not sure that's the right way of going about trying to get Norway, Iceland and Japan to stop. It's been firmly established that most people find whale meat tastes disgusting and that there is little demand for it and claims by whaling nations that it forms a part of a long cultural history have been discredited... Nobody likes being loudly and forcefully told what to do - which is part of the problem. Eventually I think they'd stop on their own accord because there simply isn't demand - instead hating being dictated to the whaling nations are throwing subsidies at it... Unfortunately if we left them to it by the time they saw the error of their ways there probably wouldn't be any whales left...
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote: »
    charges for illegal kidnapping

Think that you need to check your laws there...

Anywhoo, the most annyoning thing about that incident was the symbol on the blokes hat. How dare he use the Rebel Alliance insignia :mad:

:D
  • Options
    Why does Japan get away with "research whaling"? Probably the same reason that the USA "gets away" with "gun control. Most likely the same reason that the French "gets away" with seemingly blockading the Channel Tunnel every five minutes. Sod's law.
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote: »
    Why does Japan get away with "research whaling"? Probably the same reason that the USA "gets away" with "gun control. Most likely the same reason that the French "gets away" with seemingly blockading the Channel Tunnel every five minutes. Sod's law.

Er? everything that can go wrong will go wrong? Not sure of the link here...
  • Options
    Er? everything that can go wrong will go wrong? Not sure of the link here...
    I must have thought of the wrong expression. I was attempting to say it's one of those strange anomalies that nobody seems to understand.
  • Options
    I must have thought of the wrong expression. I was attempting to say it's one of those strange anomalies that nobody seems to understand.

It's actually not that hard to understand. :)
  • Options
    French "gets away" with seemingly blockading the Channel Tunnel every five minutes.

:confused:

I can't remember a single occasion that has happened, let alone frequently.

Oh and the US doesn't "get away" with gun control, because a) they don;t have gun control and b) that is internal border issue. Whaling happens in international waters...
  • Options
    Oh and the US doesn't "get away" with gun control, because a) they don;t have gun control

Um actually the US does have gun control. Within the US restrictions vary a lot - see wikipedia. California and cities within NY, like NYC for instance, have tight gun control - whilst Alabama doesn't...
    b) that is internal border issue. Whaling happens in international waters...

Absolutely.
  • Options
    Um actually the US does have gun control. Within the US restrictions vary a lot - see wikipedia. California and cities within NY, like NYC for instance, have tight gun control - whilst Alabama doesn't...

The word 'control' is relative.
  • Options

Indeed I know, my point stands because the US doesn't have gun control but some states might. It isn't the policy of the US Govt to have it, nor is in done by nation state laws...