Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Entertainment/Cruise Ships

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
As some of you may know, I am an aspiring actress (!) and my uni drama degree is coming to an end and I am looking to find work that relates to the entertainment sector. Though my bigger aspirations would be to work in film, television, theatre etc...it is difficult to be recognised without any professional experience to my name. I appreciate that it is going to take dedication and hard work to get me to where I want to go, but I am finding it difficult to look into the entertainment industry without having having years of 'professional experience' under my belt. I am feeling in a rut, that I have an idea but am shot down before I get very far.

Basically I'm having to take a year out to earn cash -I intend to get involved in local dramatics, my local college says they'd be happy to have me helping out directing A-level students, using my technical experience and helping out with the performance related A-levels. Realising that I'm not going to get far quickly, although I've already started to try and get my foot in the door by auditioning when I can afford the time and cash to get to London, I'm looking at getting professional experience. So I'm looking at cruise ships - I would love to be on a Disney cruise as it centres around the theatricality and magic of Disney, as appose to working doing the meanial tasks. I considered starting as a general entertainer in order to establish myself, before considering a higher up more focused entertainment career.

Basically...I wondering if any one has info on cruise ships, wages as well other avenues of gaining the highly regarded 'professional experience' I need. I am intending on doing an MFA but again, without professional experience I wouldn't be considered a very good candidate.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Hm, I know someone who went to my dance school has just finished a dance degree and now works on the parades in disney land paris. They may be looking for fresh faces etc?
    Ballerina wrote: »
    Hm, I know someone who went to my dance school has just finished a dance degree and now works on the parades in disney land paris. They may be looking for fresh faces etc?

I've seen that they are, though I am still in my degree at the moment and am away in America for 3 months this summer. I just get the feeling that my degree isn't going to be taken seriously because it's not the same as drama school training and I'm not in locale for professional work/auditions. I had to get up at 5am to catch a train for an audition today. Although it was an hour long group audition, each of the monologues were restricted to 1 min. I travelled 7 hrs total to audition for 1 min. I need to be in London :( That's why I thought cruise ships would be an excellent opportunity as everything is paid for (food/accommodation) and I could be saving money and getting practical experience. But without previous experience I'm not going to get an entertainment position and I don't want to end up doing a menial job because I feel like it deviates from my goals.

Did your friend have paid experience i.e. paid to perform? I think a Drama degree (though my department is no.1 in the country for a university degree) is such a mix of theory and practice, I can imagine a dance degree is incredibly practical.
    Well she'd been dancing forever so that probably had alot to do with it.
    What was your audition for? I'd say go to open auditions too, even if its just something small. I dunno how they work, but getting an agent might be something to consider?
    Ballerina wrote: »
    Well she'd been dancing forever so that probably had alot to do with it.
    What was your audition for? I'd say go to open auditions too, even if its just something small. I dunno how they work, but getting an agent might be something to consider?

To get an agent you need to have been talent scouted, associated with a drama school which set up special showcases inviting agents else have some professional work. They don't accept just anyone I'm afraid.

My audition was London Old Vic/New Faces - a 24 hr play project. 800 auditionees, 30 places. Being far away from London means a huge expense, otherwise I'd be there doing open auditions. I suppose I just have to be patient!