Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

little white lie

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
i have my cv and details on various sites like josite and monster. some of them have a dropdown menu that requires you to put a grade in for a course you have completed, and some you are able to leave it to their imagination.

i got a 3rd in my degree. my portfolios good, and ive had the odd intereview. but do you think its ok to put that i got a 2nd class mark when i am forced to put the degree mark down?

and on the others and on personally printed ones, should i just not mention it? i got very good marks at school and decent marks at college, and i always mention/refer to them, but i generally skip over my actual mark from uni, and focus on the skills i learnt there.

?

thanks.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Of course it's ok. Why should you have to have actually done the work in uni and got yourself a better grade? Just lie and say you have it. That's the reason why they force you to put the mark in, after all.
    No, its not ok to lie about the grade you got. It isn't even a little white lie, its an out and out fib. What happens if they ask to see evidence of your qualifications? For the second point, I work with recruiters and they always want to see degree classifications, if its missing from one of my people's CVs then they ask why. Especially if their school grades are on there but their degree mark isn't.

I'm not even going to go into the whole "why should you be allowed to lie to get a job when others worked for their higher degree mark than yours" thing because I cba and will just get irritated, but I just thought I'd drop it in.
    If i was you i wouldn't lie about your degree mark, it will come back to haunt you one day, be confident in the skills you've learned. If an employer finds out you've lied from the beginning, how can they trust you in their company?
    If you lie on your application form, and 5 years down the line they find out, they can sack you pretty much straight away.
    o.kkkkkkkkk

right. not a good idea to lie then. good points. i dont really want to lie about my grade, and ive never actually done it, so theres no need to worry.

so you reckon not mentioning it is a bad idea? does a third not look worse?
    They'll find out/want to find out anyway so might as well tell the truth. If you lie or try and hdie stuff it'll just end up looking even worse.
    Well, I've no definite answer to that question. All I can say is you lie on your CV at your own risk. If you get caught and lose the job as a result, you'll have no one but yourself to blame.