Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Instead of moaning and whinging that life's not fair...

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
(Not an advert, no affiliation with author. Not entirely a "Relationships" post either but has some relevance)

Hi,

I've been reading a book recently I think would be really useful to some people here. It's called "The Principles of Life" by Steve Norton. http://www.freeyourmind.info/

Basically he says there's two types of people in this world. People who moan and whinge and blame other people/things - a broken home, divorced parents, the government, the city they grow up in, their relationships with friends/family, society, unemployment, immigration etc etc for whatever problems they have in life. This is self-perpetuating, if you blame something for your failures you'll just give in and never improve yourself.

On the other hand, there are people who just take things in their stride, they don't blame their personal circumstances for their life and no matter what environment they're in they are successful / improve themselves. Whilst maybe a bit patronising at times, the book shows you the techniques required to just "free your mind" of any negative emotions that may be holding you back from living a fantastic life.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I'm definately the second type, however you can't deny that social problems account for people being in some dire situations that they find themselves. It's not just a case of "getting on with things" for everybody. Although that attitude can go a long way in helping people help themselves.
    well, I blame nobody else on my shortcomings and reduce my whining to an absolute minimum, but I am still not successful...

seeing that I don't have the book, would you be so kind and look it up in the book what the author would recommend me?

converting to islam? genocide? scientology?
    I'm quite a positive person aswell, everybody needs a bit of a moan now and again but the key is keeping your head up and tackling things head on and not being woe is me all the time.

Books like this aren't always the answer though. They might help you see things a bit differently, but if you're used to wallowing in self-pity (sounds harsh but I can't think of a better term!) then it's not an easy mindset to get out of.