Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

car insurance

2»

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Just to say, car insurance blows! About a year ago I could no longer be on my parents, I couldn't believe how expensive it was. Under them I was just an add on and it was like $50 every six months. Now I pay about $260 every 6. And for the first time in my life I'm going to need collision insurance, with that, I've got quotes for a dozen different brands/years/types of cars, even my current car which is a total pile it should be cheap as hell but its still over $100 a month. Gender, age, location. I'm screwed all three ways! At least I believe for women rates decrease a bit after 24 so only a couple more years. I've never had a ticket or reported accident, I could only imagine if the insurance companies knew the whole truth, but thats the small joy of not having collision, you get nothing to repair your car, but then again they don't know about it so it'll never hurt you.
    Woah, what car is that?
    Subaru Impreza WRX.
    21, Vauxhall corsa sxi 1.2 2003 model, 0 yrs no claims. £400 fully comp.

Add someone you know that has been driving for 12+ yrs and has max no claims, it will reduce it a lot.
  • SkiveSkive Posts: 15,282 Skive's The Limit
    kangoo wrote: »
    thats what i'm doing. need to renew my insurance the start of feb and will be moving from cardiff to a smaller town in march

Never renew insurance with the same company, you'll get ripped off. Loyalty never pays with car insurance company's unless they can say they can beat any cheaper quote you find elsewhere. You end up subsidising the rates they offer to attract new customers.

This will save you £££'s
    http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/insurance/compare-cheap-car-insurance
    Weekender Offender 
    kangoo wrote: »
    whats your excess?
    If I remember correctly, it's about £100. The car itself isn't worth much more than that.
    Calvin wrote: »
    I would say postcode is one of the biggest factors in determining your car insurance quote. If you lived and Manchester, Liverpool or London postcode the insurance company i worked for wouldn't touch you with a bargepole.
    Oh lord, I hadn't thought of that. When I restart uni in September, I was considering taking the car to Manchester with me. This is just gonna add hundreds to the insurance bill. Thank god I found out now!
    To all you lot stressing out about insurance in Manchester - he did say the insurance company he worked for - I'm insured under a Manchester postcode and get my Insurance for £800 - 20 year old lad with 1 years no claims (with a recognised additional year of driving as a named driver) - not bad at all! :p
    Skive wrote: »
    Never renew insurance with the same company, you'll get ripped off. Loyalty never pays with car insurance company's unless they can say they can beat any cheaper quote you find elsewhere. You end up subsidising the rates they offer to attract new customers.

This will save you £££'s
    http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/insurance/compare-cheap-car-insurance

I didn't mean renew with the same company (although it happens they have given me one of the best quotes, only beaten by tesco value which has a much bigger excess). I just meant my year is up and I need new insurance
    stargalaxy wrote: »
    If I remember correctly, it's about £100.

Gaah my excess was 450 this year. The shites
    you change your own excess. when you get a quote, ask what the excess is and then ask for a requote if you want to setthe excess differently, then tell em you had a cheaper quote with lower excess elsewhere...
    23, 1 year no claims, 1 accident, 6points

£650 fully comp on a ford focus 1.8

:D
    M1nkeh wrote: »
    23, 1 year no claims, 1 accident, 6points

£650 fully comp on a ford focus 1.8

:D

with what company? Thats pretty good.
    My boyfriends got one accident, 2 years no claims and no points and his insurance is £100 a month for a 1.4 megane since he claimed :/
    I'm 22. Convertible Tigra 1.8 56 plate. 1 Years NCB been driving since I was 17 with no accidents & 3 points for speeding.

£1100.