Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Teeth

My teeth feel as if they are corroding away quite rapidly very recently. Also the gum on top of one of my teeth has receeded quite a bit and is bleeding. Does anyone know what this is? I know a dentist would but dont know when I will be able to get to one

Feelim
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    How many times do you brush your teeth a day, have you recently started brushing more/harder.

If you damage the gum, you will damage your teeth...
    How are your eating habbits? do you take vitamin supliments?
  • Options
    I always brush my teeth twice a day except in rare occasions, so i dont see why they should be so bad. No i dont take supplements but think i should start
  • Options
    How much coke do you drink?

How much orange juice do you drink?

How much squash do you drink?

How much tea/coffe with sugar do you drink?

How often do you eat (anything) between meals.

All those have a big impact on erosion from tooth decay. The acid attacks the enamel on your teeth.

Sipping away at a fizzy drink (regular or sugar free) or cups of squash/juice through the morning does evil things to your teeth, which not many people realise, as does sucking on mints/sweets over a long time period. Much better for your teeth to crunch through the pack in one go and be done with it.

Generally the best thing for gums is to brush them, brush your teeth and gums with fluoride toothpaste twice a day, and when your brushing, don't just brush the tips of your teeth, make sure the gums get brushed too.
  • Options
    Also brush in a circular motion, as brushing up and down can worsen receeding gums.
  • Options
    One of my friends drinks a bottle of coke everyday and sips it all day. I hate to imagine what it's doing to her teeth. How old are you?
  • Options
    feelim wrote: »
    My teeth feel as if they are corroding away quite rapidly very recently. Also the gum on top of one of my teeth has receeded quite a bit and is bleeding. Does anyone know what this is? I know a dentist would but dont know when I will be able to get to one

Feelim

Go to the dentist as soon as possible. I overbrushed my teeth for years and as a result I brushed away a groove one of my front teeth I also grind my teeth when I'm sleeping which tends to wear them a bit. Other than that my teeth are perfectly healthy so the dentist coated my front teeth with some tooth coloured glue and they are fab now.

Looking at them you'd never know that they had a coating on them and they are so smooth now.
  • Options
    I know that sipping fizzy/soft drinks from a straw can help protect your teeth as its basically going straight down your throat.
  • Options
    chan-chan wrote: »
    I know that sipping fizzy/soft drinks from a straw can help protect your teeth as its basically going straight down your throat.

This depends on your drinking with straw habits - children especially have a habit of chewing the straw or putting it into the side of the mouth, this concentrates the fizzy drink into one area so be careful!