Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Finances at uni.

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Wasn't sure whether to put this in the student section or not. Feel free to move if so!

Now, I know I've been at uni for 4 months now, but I'm still convinced I've not filled in the correct forms as I don't feel I am receiving enough money. I'd love someone to explain it to me, even if that explanation highlights that I'm getting what I'm totally entitled too. It would just clear my head up so much more!!

As I'm doing an nursing, the uni pay for studying fees (about £3,030 per academic year). I got a letter from the NHS which I cannot find ANYWHERE (stress!) which gave the total at which they were paying me. I could have sworn the total was about £4,000.

I am also entitled to a student loan to pay for my accommodation fees. I have to pay this back right? Even though my mum is only on benefits? The student loan in about £2,500 but I can't remember so that could be wrong.

My hall fees are £3,620 so my loan does not cover this.

I had a student loan installment on the ninth of Jan, but when the next accommodation direct debit goes out of my account, I will be over-drawn again!

I can never win. I'm going to be in debt to SOMEONE the whole time I'm at uni.

Now, I KNOW I need to sort my spending. I keep spending far too much on pointless stuff. I do not have the time do get a job really. I'm in uni (including practice) 5 x a week, and weekends are my only time to chill and to catch up on uni work.

So, am I just going to have to not have a life and live in debt forever?! Or am I entitled to more money? Why am I struggling so much?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Or drop out till I'm more financially stable?

I can't keep relying on my parents or boyfriend who keep having to financially subsidise me, bailing me out. It's a vicious circle, and it's only the fourth month.
    If you're with the NHS you should be getting a bursary, I think it's £500 a month. Ask blonde_batman, I think she was doing nursing too.
    does ur uni offer a financial support service? that might be helpful
    Curvy_lass wrote: »

I am also entitled to a student loan to pay for my accommodation fees. I have to pay this back right? Even though my mum is only on benefits? The student loan in about £2,500 but I can't remember so that could be wrong.

You have to pay back your maintenance loan. If your Mum is on benefits then I think the £2,500 you are on about must be your maintenance grant which you don't have to pay back. I say that because my maintenance loan is £2,600 and I am living at home so yours should be in region of about £4,000 I think.
    Gosh. I really wish I was in the know. I feel like I'm fighting against myself!

Going to bed before this foul mood takes over. Thanks for the inital advice guys :)
    goooo see the financial people :)
    Go see your tutor, or someone at the students union who deals with finance.

I'm pretty good on normal student finance, but people with NHS bursarys get very different finance to standard students.

Generally though, most students are in debt throughout their course, that bit isn't unusual. Your hall fees are just under £1210 a term, say you get 3 months worth of bursary a term, that leaves you with £290 a term of your bursary to live off as well as about £600 a term from the grant/loan thing your getting.

It might not be ideal, but you shouldn't be struggling too much on that. Your bursary in itself is more per term than standard students get from their loan.
    If you're in serious financial trouble you can always apple for a hardship grant / loan which is now known as an access to learning grant / fund. Contact your student support / finance office for details. I thought about applying as my brother got it but haven't got round to it because I know with careful budgeting I'll be ok and really it should be for students who maybe need a car because they have a family or something and so need extra cash here and there.