Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

free eye test

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
my nan had diabetes and my dad and uncles all got there eye tests free.
my dad has type 2 diabetes and said that i should get my eyes tests free because of it as he is at risk of glaucoma which means i could be too.
I have a cataract in my left eye which has left me by legal standards "blind" and moderate short sightedness and mild astigmatism in the other eye.
Am i eligible for free sight tests?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    http://www.nhsdirect.nhs.uk/articles/article.aspx?articleId=895

You are entitled to a free NHS sight test if you:

are under 16, or under 19 and in full time education,
    are aged 60 and over,
    are registered blind or partially sighted,
    have diabetes or glaucoma,
    are aged 40 or over with a first degree relative with glaucoma, or have been diagnosed at risk of glaucoma,
    have been prescribed a complex lens, or
    are receiving certain benefits or credits (click on the links below for more details).
    If you are eligible for help with NHS costs under the NHS Low Income Scheme, you can claim some or all of the cost of sight tests, glasses and/or contact lenses for you, your partner and your children.

You are already entitled to full help with health costs if you or your partner are receiving Income Support, Pension Credit Guarantee Credit, or Income-based Jobseeker's Allowance, or if you are named on a Tax Credit NHS Exemption Certificate.
    katralla wrote: »
    http://www.nhsdirect.nhs.uk/articles/article.aspx?articleId=895

You are entitled to a free NHS sight test if you:

are aged 40 or over with a first degree relative with glaucoma, or have been diagnosed at risk of glaucoma,

Would that one not count?
    For that to count you would have to be over 40, or deemed personally to be at risk of gluacoma (beyond the risk via your dad).

Are you registered partially sighted?
    What about the low income scheme?
    how would i apply for that?
    and i'm not registered partially sighted which is odd because i would of thought being half blind would be partially sighted
    You can get a free eye test at D and A at the moment, google it.
    To find out if you can get help under the low income scheme you need to fill in an assessment form. Think it's called HC11 although that might have changed. Some health centres, doctors, dentists have them, or you ring up and they send you one.

Are you eligible to register as partially sighted? I believe it's not an automatic thing, but something you can opt for. Might be worth asking someone about that.

Your best line of further information might be to go into a local optician, find out how much eye tests cost, and whether you might be eligible for a free one. They are usually quite helpful.