Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Resume/cover letter

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I'm thinking of a weekend job. Starbucks or that smoothie place I like so much. Just something small for a bit of extra cash. I plan on just sending it via mail and calling them a few days after, but should I send a resume and cover letter with it? Not to demean the job, but its serving smoothies and coffee to people... I don't have much relevent on my resume anyways. All my retail jobs were many many jobs ago.

Tips? Thanks.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Yea you want a cover letter and a CV. I assume CV = resume?

Doesn't have to be perfect, just say in your covering letter briefly what role you're applying for, refer to your CV for relevent skills (any retail role will give you skills working with people, which is what they're looking for), and say when you're available for interview / the job. CV doesn't have to be massive, it's just a list really of jobs you've done. It's good to keep it current because then you can just print one out and send it to whoever for whatever role you're applying for :).

There's no harm in asking around informally (perhaps with a pile of CVs to have out to 'keep on file') incase they have any current vacancys however. I did that at a few shops and got a call back within a week who were offering me the job outright :) but I'd already taken another position by then. I think even for part time jobs effort on your CV pays dividends.
    I've got the CV and all that jazz, I'm just afraid it will be too excessive and then they'll laugh and call me a tard and toss it. But maybe I've been scarred because thats what we used to do at an old job of mine. Not to mention I just spent the last half hour writing out my last jobs and all that on the stupid application

(It actually asked... "What do you like about coffee?" :o :banghead: )

What all should go on the cover letter? I've never been bright with those.
    I'm no expert, I just briefly put:

Dar whoever (try and use a name vs. 'manager')

I'm applying for xxx role which I saw advertised in xxx.

I'm doing xxx and am looking to work for xxx for xxx reason.

I have experience in xxx which I has given me crucial skills when handling xxx which I feel would make me appropriate for the position.

I am available weekdays / weekends / afternoons for interview, and could start as soon as possible.

Kind Regards,
    Simba

Obviously you can do a more polished one, but I don't think most people want to read through a massive essay.

If there's an application form it may be a different case, but it never harms to throw in a CV too. I.e. from the co op where I used to work they said they didn't accept CVs but the management will hold onto them to quickly find someone to fill a position.

What job were you working at where you laughed at people who'd made an effort with their resume? :eek2:
    I like coffee because she is the dark goddess. Bean around since 800AD and keeps adding to her reporoire, now a top ten agricultural export all around the world. She gives me the jitters and makes me fly she's the number one legal high!
    Thats real good, thanks! (the letter and the coffee ;))

We didn't laugh at the good ones, just the ott ones like the guy applying for a basic purchasing position that sent in 13 different certificates... and all the ones that couldn't spell :p
  • BunnieBunnie Posts: 6,099 Master Poster
    Thats real good, thanks! (the letter and the coffee ;))

We didn't laugh at the good ones, just the ott ones like the guy applying for a basic purchasing position that sent in 13 different certificates... and all the ones that couldn't spell :p

Just an idea, but perhaps see if you can get something that is slighty to do with what you want to do when you finish uni, at least you are getting experience and the chance of a proper grown up job when you graduate and some pennies at the same time?

Look at me, I sound like your mum! :p
    Its a good idea, but I like my job now and I just want something easy to add on so I can spend most my brain power on school. Plus I want to be a professor now so theres really nothing I can do that would be relevent or usefull... or available so early in my education.