Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Nerves!

BillieTheBotBillieTheBot Posts: 8,721 Bot
I've got an interview tomorrow for a three mornings a week teaching job, and I am SO nervous. I vaguely know the interviewer and I know I can do the job but still... argh. I think it comes with having been out of work for so long. Ever interview I've had I've just blagged it, but I guess it might actually pay to be prepared for one...

Anyway, it's teaching English to local women (y'know, the ones who can't have a male teacher or actually set foot in a college-type setting because of cultural reasons) so I think it will be a really interesting and challenging job. Fingers crossed I'll actually get it, as the pay is very good too and that always helps.

How do people calm themselves before interviews? Any curveball questions interviewers are asking these days? I hope they're not still asking the "what are your weaknesses?" chestnut... my most hated question ever!
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Good luck. It sounds like a good job you can fit round your life.

This is my tip for job interviews. If you feel shaky, nip to the loo (or anywhere nobody's looking really!), stand facing a wall, put both arms out and push really hard on the wall. Sounds a bit nuts, but it gets rid of excess tension.

I would imagine that for a teaching job they will be especially looking to see that you're presentable, well spoken (speak up and clearly without being patronising, which I'm sure you wouldn't be anyway!), and I guess sensitive and aware of other cultures.
    Perhaps you could prepare a list of reasons as to why you want the job and why you think you'd be good at it - I know you have lots of reasons but if you set them all out coherently in your mind then I'm sure that will help you recall them easier if they ask you.

Just be confident in your ability to do the job, the interviewer will probably recognise that too.

Good luck :)
    Cheers you two, I got it!!!!

So chuffed with myself, we're going out for celebratory drinks (thanks permanent babysitter aka mam) :thumb:
    Congratulations!

Can I ask what qualifications you have? I asked a guy at the council if I'd be able to teach English classes and he said something about how I would need to doa 2 year diploma (?)
    I have a TEFL from way back and have taught English in various places for short stretches over the years when I've been dossing about Europe.

Basically I got my foot in the door because my mum's been a EAL lecturer for years now and she's got the contacts. Don't think I'd be able to do it for exam prep or anything, these are community classes for people who can't communicate at the bank, bakery, job centre etc etc etc.
    Well done! :D
    I'm starting my TEFL 2 next week, and I'm helping Magda-at-work-who-is-Polish improve her English. She's already brilliant but she doesn't think so and it will most likely involve drinking tea so all is good :thumb: