Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Jobs above your station...

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
well basically i've just been rung up by someone who has seen my CV on the internet and its a decent sounding job for a government defence contractor, all sounds good and is actually paying about twice as much as current salary.

i've had a read through the spec they've sent me and it looks well too over my head and too intense, she said on the phone not to worry too much about the spec because i've experience in stuff they are looking for.

now im not too sure whether i should waste my time going for it only to fail or if why the hell not and give it a go.

any suggestions? :chin:

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Your a boy - why are you asking this question??

If they have approached you then the chances are they think your suitable for the job - however be wary sometimes agencies just try and put people forward because they want to show they have candidates and its a bit of a numbers game - so it might be worth scoping it out a little more.

Anyway PM me the bits your not sure about.......
    Yeah, give it a try. Look into the job a bit more, inform yourself of as much as you can, then try it.
    go for it mate, its much better (in my opinion) to be stimulated, busy and brain stretched, and be bored! you can do it!!!!
    PM'd you Wyetry!
    Wyetry wrote: »
    however be wary sometimes agencies just try and put people forward because they want to show they have candidates and its a bit of a numbers game - so it might be worth scoping it out a little more.

In my years and years of dealing with agents, be wary. They usually don't have a clue what they are talking about and will just do a search on key words on your resume.

Obviously, there's no harm in being put forward, but don't be too disheartened if you don't hear back as they will only usually get back in touch (after putting you forward) if there is chance of progression.

Good luck though.
    well i've had experience with agencies where the positions dont actually exist and just want me on their books, i made sure i asked this one as a dead give away is when they say they aint allowed to mention the employer, but on this they did and assured me the position was real. the job description actually came from the prospective employer so thats all fine.

gonna have a proper read when i get home from work
    Better to go for it and fail, than not to try at all.

Worse comes to worse and you don't get it, ask them for what kind of work they want (for a future application) and what kind of companies a lot of their employers previously worked for.

The only way is up.
    as a dead give away is when they say they aint allowed to mention the employer,

No, actually you're wrong (in the case of contract 'IT' recruitment, anyway). Thats just standard practice until they put you forward so that you don't approach the company directly nor pass on information to any other agencies ;) I never get told the client name until I have agreed to be put forward for a role.

They have to protect their interests... Well, that's about all they do! :D
    Go for it...you never know unless you do and the worst is you don't get it and so be it. It's all good experience whatever.
    think i might go for it, it looks a good job and there is a choice of 2 sites locally i could work at, both only 30mins away...
    good luck.
    as Namaste pointed out its better to try and fail than not try at all :)