Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

That mountain of work in the final year

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
How do people cope?

I have this one essay which I fucking hate. It's the most boring piece of shit I've ever done and has more reading than the other two essays put together. I'm shit scared I won't get a 2:1 for it (I'm leaving uni if I get a 2:2 and may return to do final year again in a couple of years... I don't want a 2:2)...

Do final year papers get marked a great deal more harshly than second year papers?

I know because of my learning difficulties I can get an extension though (but don't want to ask for it because I wanna be the same as everyone else)... I am just finding it all quite annoying, plus I have a lot going on in my personal life at the moment and I work three days a week.

I'd really love some advice/encouragement.

Uni is everything to me... It's the first thing I've ever really done for myself and not to impress my father. I really want to do well.

I finished last year with a 68% average. I'd like that kind of thing in this year, if not better.
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Namaste wrote: »
    How do people cope?

I have this one essay which I fucking hate. It's the most boring piece of shit I've ever done and has more reading than the other two essays put together. I'm shit scared I won't get a 2:1 for it (I'm leaving uni if I get a 2:2 and may return to do final year again in a couple of years... I don't want a 2:2)...

Do final year papers get marked a great deal more harshly than second year papers?

I know because of my learning difficulties I can get an extension though (but don't want to ask for it because I wanna be the same as everyone else)... I am just finding it all quite annoying, plus I have a lot going on in my personal life at the moment and I work three days a week.

I'd really love some advice/encouragement.

Uni is everything to me... It's the first thing I've ever really done for myself and not to impress my father. I really want to do well.

I finished last year with a 68% average. I'd like that kind of thing in this year, if not better.

You just have to get on with it! :thumb:
    MancDan wrote: »
    You just have to get on with it! :thumb:

Yeah I know... I just needed to rant.

As much as I hate t admit it, my dyspraxia does affect my studies a lot and I find it hard to settle and concentrate. :crying:
    Yeah I know... I just needed to rant.

As much as I hate t admit it, my dyspraxia does affect my studies a lot and I find it hard to settle and concentrate. :crying:

I had a mountain of work to do during the summer holidays, i.e. work I didn't do during the first year. I had 3 Essays and 4 bouts of coursework to do. It was an absolute ball ache! Never been so stressed in my entire life.

I got it done and got onto the 2nd year. God help me this year though when it actually counts :P
  • **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster

Nice one :thumb: You did it once and you can definitely do it again. :)

Agree with MancDan, particularly as, you probably know from experience that as soon as you get into something it does tend to get a bit easier. It's getting started that is the hardest part - particularly when it's a subject you like least.
    First of all - if you get a 2:2 for one piece of work, it is not the end of the world remember that :)
    You have a good average so far, so one 2:2 will not affect your overall mark.

Second of all, I have gone through uni with a great deal of health difficulties and constant doctors appointments (averaging 2 a week recently I'd say). Like you, I knew it was legitimate for me to request an extension, but never did it as I wanted to prove I could do it, and show family and friends that it was bullshit when they told me I needed time off etc. to take proper care of myself. But the last essay I had, I had to get an extension. I simply couldn't function at that point due to stress and worry (on top of everything else I was undergoing checks regarding lymphal node on my neck, and I had almost convinced myself I had cancer), so got my extension. The world didn't crash, and it was quite nice getting that week extra and be able to chill out a bit whilst doing it.
    If you feel an extension could help you, then don't be embarrassed to ask for one. Rather that than performing badly due to stress and lack of time.

Thirdly, I know from myself that it is easier to worry than actually get down and do what needs to be done. I don't have any time management skills whatsoever - I abide by the I-work-best-under-pressure-cause-I've-never-tried-differently philosophy.
    So yeah, once you get started at least that part is out of the way and it motivates you further by giving you a small sense of accomplishment.

Good luck with it all.
    Hey, just wanted to add that my personal tutor told me (and from what I observed it also seems true) that most people do better in their third year than they do in their second, and you're obviously dedicated so try not to stress about it too much. Even if you got a 2:2 for a couple of pieces of work, the fact that you did so well in your second year is going to take the pressure off you a bit.

Also (as has already been said) if you need the extension, don't feel funny about taking it - you've got a legitimate reason and are going to find it harder at times than other people will, it doesn't mean that you're not as dedicated or capable. You should give yourself the best opportunity to get the work done as well as you can rather than letting it all pile up on you.

Good luck getting it all done!
    Thanks people (especially Dear Wendy... How did you do in the end?)!

Yeah, I put too much pressure on myself and you're right, I shouldn't be ashamed of asking for an extension. I mean it just takes me longer to read because of memory problems and concentration... It's not like I don't understand the stuff.

Well... here goes everything!
    Dont you get any extra help because of your dyspraxia?
    Dont you get any extra help because of your dyspraxia?

Yeah, I get one on one support each week.
    Yeah, I get one on one support each week.

Ah I'm getting that this term. I had a test and turns out I'm mildy dyslexic as well as 'suspected' dyspraxic. I hope the extra support helps.
    Ah I'm getting that this term. I had a test and turns out I'm mildy dyslexic as well as 'suspected' dyspraxic. I hope the extra support helps.

Yeah, I hope it works well for you too.

The support is a good motivator because you bring something to them each week.