Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Dianette

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hi

I know about dianette only should be on it for so long, I mentioned it to my Dr about 6 months ago and he said it was ok to keep going so did, got a letter the other day telling me to make appointment to get a new one as I've been on it too long - but I told the dr that!
What other pills are good for skin????

Comments

• Options
    what is it and whats it used for?
    vit E is good for skin
  • Options
    its a contraceptive pill which also helps the skin clear up
  • Options
    Stary Eyes wrote: »
    its a contraceptive pill which also helps the skin clear up

why would anyone think of putting those two things together in the same pill :eek2:
  • Options
    Possibly because 6 months ago you hadn't been on it too long, but now you have ?!

None of the other contraceptive pills are particularly good for skin (like Dianette is), Yasmin is one that comes up fairly frequently as being pretty good. Apart from that it can be a case of try it and see, some make things better for some people, the same one makes things worse for others.

You may find after the time on Dianette things are better anyway. Another option is a non hormonal treatment. There's a cream called Differin avaiable on prescription that works well for some people. A combination of that, and a bog standard contraceptive pill works for me.

My acne flairs worse during the pill breaks, so it's been suggested that I run 2 packs together routinely to increase the gaps between the flair ups.

As to why they combine then in one pill, a lot of acne is hormonal, caused by androgens. Dianette is a hormonal acne treatment that has the same properties as the contraceptive pill almost as a side effect.
  • Options
    otter wrote: »
    why would anyone think of putting those two things together in the same pill :eek2:
    I don't think they put two things together as such, it's just that the particular combination of hormones used has the effect of helping acne as well as being a contraceptive so therefore it gets used for either purpose or both if you need both.
  • Options
    I was on Dianetter for 5 years because I've got a crap doctor and he didn't warn me about staying on it for long periods of time :confused: I was only warned about it and taken off it 6 months ago because my new doctor said that there are higher risks of links to DVT. Anywho she has put me on a new type of pill called Mercilon which has worked really well for me. My skin has stayed clear and other symptoms such as bloating/pmt have really improved.
  • Options
    Thanks, I'll have been on it for about that and I mentioned what i'd heard to my Dr in April time and he said it was ok!
    I'll have to phone up and make appointment tomorrow and get it sorted, will look at that website, thanks
  • Options
    I have been on dianette for years, I'm not too worried about it really. The risks are quite low, my doctor seems to think that as long as I maintain a healthy weight it shouldn't be too much of a problem.

My doctor actually prescribed me 12 months worth of pills last time I went which I was quite shocked about as its always been 6 months before that.
  • Options
    Apparently my doctor said that it shouldn't be prescribed as a contraceptive pill anymore and is only licensed to be prescribed to people with severe acne or hair growth. It's hard to know whats true though as another doctor I spoke to didn't seem bothered that I was on it *sigh* I wish they'd just bloomin agree on it!
  • Options
    The prescribing guidlines now state that is should no longer be prescribed solely as a contraceptive pill, as there are others with fewer associated risks/side affects.

However, it can still be prescribed as a suitable contraceptive for those who also require treatment for acne or hair growth.
  • Options
    Was at dr other night and been prescribed microgyen or something!