Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

"Demonising Fat People" - Appalled by peoples attitudes.

1235»

Comments

• Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,283 Skive's The Limit
    People with issues about their weight may not appreciate that thread popping up every time they log into thesite.

To be honest if a discussion about positive ways of looking after your health in thread where people can offer eaho other a little encouragement upsets some people, tough shit. I would suggest either joining in or ignoring it.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Skive wrote: »
    To be honest if a discussion about positive ways of looking after your health in thread where people can offer eaho other a little encouragement upsets some people, tough shit. I would suggest either joining in or ignoring it.

It was just the weight loss part. Obviously I'm the only one that feels this way so never mind ..
  • Options
    :rolleyes:

I picked that thread in particular because it was constantly active. Much like the 'what are you listening to now?' thread. I'm not suggesting anything just wondering what other people thought. The only thing I was stating was that me, for myself..personally!!.. it put a dampener on my visit here because whenever I clicked view new posts there was a weight loss thread. That is my own view point so maybe you can stop getting so defensive and drop it.

I'm not being defensive, I'm just discussing it and giving MY OPINION, the same as you have given yours.

You are the one being defensive - Why don't you drop it? :rolleyes:
  • Options
    I'm not being defensive, I'm just discussing it and giving MY OPINION, the same as you have given yours.

You are the one being defensive - Why don't you drop it? :rolleyes:

I thought I already had.
  • Options
    cool
  • Options
    I see what Rachael means - this thread the first time round made me stop coming to thesite because I got really upset about it as I was really sensitive about it at the time. I don't think it should be closed or anything though because it's a helpful thread now, rather than what seemed like a fatty-bashing thread, at least in the beginning.
  • Options
    The first thread yet I can understand that to be honest I think she was referring to the Health & Fitness/weightloss thread?
  • Options
    its easy to be too sensitive about it. but this is P&D. and so far this thread has been a relatively frank discussion and thats what this forum is about isn't it?!
    though i would say if it affects you/anyone best bet is not to read it - you have a choice 'ya know :)
  • Options
    The discussion isn't about a thread in politics, it's about a thread in health & fitness.

It's entirely justified to be there - but at the same time given the vast mixture of problems people are experiencing to claim that it won't have a detremental effect on some people is niave at best.

As I've already said - the thread is welcome to be there, but that doesn't mean it isn't going to be closely watched.
  • Options
    Jim V wrote: »
    Tgiven the vast mixture of problems people are experiencing to claim that it won't have a detremental effect on some people is niave at best.

it might be a sensitive issue but but people have a choice whether to read or comment or not. nobody forces them to do that. its healthy to openly discuss such issues. but if someone is overly sensitive to it then why are they reading it?
  • Options
    I don't see where the 'fatty bashing' is to be honest.

I'm a bit overweight and it hasn't bothered me at all... Granted some people seem a bit self-righteous or over the top at times, but isn't that just the nature of this kind of thread?

I found some of the things on a thread a while ago a bit uncomfortable (about people being disappointed if their kids turned out to be gay... Thanks), but if you're gonna get upset with the topic, then don't click on it.

It's not like anybody is forcing people to read these threads and even if they are reading it, why give a fuck what people think? Be who you wanna be because life's too short to be anything else. It's the people who love you for who you are that count.
  • Options
    *what just happened?*
  • Options
    Offensive posts were removed - and the posts by kiddranc came across far too agressive and unacceptable so they were removed as were anything that referred to them

To say that any prejudice is acceptable and right and should simply be lived with whether based on skin colour, sexuality or appearance isn't acceptable.
  • Options
    Jim V wrote: »
    what?

Offensive posts are always removed - and the posts by kiddranc came across far to agressive and unacceptabel so they were removed as were anything that referred to them

ok cool :)
  • Options
    No probs :)
  • Options
    Namaste wrote: »
    I don't see where the 'fatty bashing' is to be honest.

I'm a bit overweight and it hasn't bothered me at all... Granted some people seem a bit self-righteous or over the top at times, but isn't that just the nature of this kind of thread?

I found some of the things on a thread a while ago a bit uncomfortable (about people being disappointed if their kids turned out to be gay... Thanks), but if you're gonna get upset with the topic, then don't click on it.

It's not like anybody is forcing people to read these threads and even if they are reading it, why give a fuck what people think? Be who you wanna be because life's too short to be anything else. It's the people who love you for who you are that count.

I was talking about the first thread, and posts that say stuff like "I hate fat people" (thankfully ricardo has been banned now) I think we can safely say is fattybashing!

All I was saying namaste that I could see rachael's point: I dn't think this thread is fattybashing and neither is the other one.

Whatever.

Back on topic...
  • Options
    Sorry, hardly been at home over the holidays so I haven't had a chance to reply to this sooner.
    Nikki* wrote: »
    Not only would it have been easier to have just ignored him or laughed, and walked away knowing you were obviously more secure than him, but reacting back does, like parents always say, makes you as bad.

Maybe this is where you're going wrong; this is the real world. Walking away makes you look like a pussy. If it was just me and him, maybe I would have let it go (well, not likely, but still). When there's other people around (including superfine bitches) you want to look good infront of them. You want to look good infront of your friends, too. It's the reason groups of friends (well, guy friends at least) slag each other in a banter kind of way. You're always trying to outdo one another, trying to be the funnier person. If you're the kind of guy whose friends jokingly slag and you let it get to you, they'll pick up on it and keep doing it. Letting people get away with starting shit with you opens the door for other people to do the same. Put them in their place and they won't do it again.

It's the same as when you were at school. If you get bullied parents' advice is "to be the bigger person" and walk away. If it continues, you're supposed to tell an adult. Sure, in a fantasy world that's fine, but in the real world that will get you your ass kicked. In the real world when you get bullied, you kick the absolute shit out of the person bullying you in full view of everyone else. Providing he doesn't know 20 people crazier than him, but that's a different story.

And the whole 'makes you just as bad' argument as bullshit. Someone jumps you in the street and you fight back... are you just as bad then? Bearing in mind it's not like you would have randomly started fighting people in the street, the same as I wouldn't have randomly started slagging people in the club.
    Nikki* wrote: »
    why was his weight the first thing you chose to throw back at him? Because its a physical feature, and an easy one to fault.

Are you being purposefully dense? I chose that because it's the one most likely to generate the most laughs from everyone who was there. As such, I 'won'. It's the same reason the type of comedians who slag the audience pick up on that kind of thing. You don't hit out with "LOL NICE HAIR!", as you'll look like a fucking muppet and people will laugh at you instead. And yes, of course it was a physical feature. I didn't sit the guy down for a chat so I could figure out which of his personality traits I could use. Even if I did, the other people there wouldn't have a clue about them - it had to be something obvious for them too.

EDIT: Yes, I realise I sound completely up myself and arrogant, only caring about what others think. I used extremes on purpose to try and make the point sink in.
  • Options
    Just to comment on the increased number of posts in health and fitness, often it's a cycle of posters who for instance, wanted advice on 'toning' say in 2006, then a year later, probably without realising it, they ask exactly the same thing. Assuming that whatever they tried didn't work. I won't single a person out, but one user has asked for the same diet and fitness advice on 5 different threads over a span of months.

Also, when you have people on there like Cheeseontoast etc taking the time to write lengthy responses to people, some users who want to start out may post asking for similar advice as they want it tailor-made for them. I certainly would have done so if I had been in that position when I started out, beats paying for it from a trainer or buying books/DVDs. So those could both be reasons why there are more threads.

Slightly off topic, but when my boyfriend and I got back from Brussels last night, we were on the Tube and he turned to me and said, "My God, people in this country are so much bigger." And looking around, I was pretty shocked too. I saw a news feature on children and the incidence of Type 2 diabetes. It's terrifying. Before he's accused of being a demonisation-monster, he's also a bit overweight himself and he's in the process of losing it.
  • Options
    is this type of thread still going???
  • Options
    i am sooooo sorry i started this . x
  • Options
    To be fair - the thread isn't really going anywhere about the issues raised so I think it might as well be closed now.
This discussion has been closed.