Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Becoming unemployed

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Has anyone ever left a job without having another one to go to?

I think i've only ever been unemployed for about 3 months, when I came back from working abroad for the summer. The thing is, I have a job now but I absolutely hate it. i work in a supermarket and it was only meant to be a temporary thing but iv been there for ages now and its getting me down. i feel so depressed every morning when i have to go in.

i desperately want to find a new job and i have been looking but perhaps not as hard as i could have been, iv had 2 unsuccessful interviews. I was thinking though of just leaving my job, and then I thought maybe that will make me find a new job quicker cos then i'll have to wont I!

i'm a bit scared though in case i end up going into another shite job just because i need the money.

i think i just want a bit of advice really, do you think its a good idea to just leave?

this post is so badly worded haha, im sorry.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Yeah I have. I had no work for about 3 weeks and then got more work.

I'm not sure whether this would be a good time of year to change jobs.

Do you know what you actually want to do?

Do you need money to pay rent/bills etc? Do you have any savings? There's quite a few things to take into account.
    I'm sure you could get temporary work whilst you look for another job. Like in an office or soemthing.

Do you know what job you want? Agencies might eb able to help you with it too.
    Temping jobs should be reasonably easy to pick up now that the uni students should be going back after xmas.

If you feel that having a job is holding you back from looking and applying for others then it's probably a good idea to quit. How much notice do you have to give? I'd get on some agency books now then they've got some time to find things for you.

If you don't have any ideas what you'd like to do, then probably temping and seeing various different jobs might be a good thing anyway cos you'll get to experience different things and maybe find something you enjoy. The other nice thing about temping jobs is that they usually are fairly short contracts so you can always see an end point if you really don't like it.

However, if you do have rent, bills etc then I'd advise you to stay with the stability of a job that you know you've got and is permanent until you find something else, so as not to risk getting into debts etc.
    Lacy please don't be too stubborn to claim help. You're entitled to it and it isn't anything to be ashamed of. You can do it online so it's easy enough to fill in the initial form.

Sorry to sidetrack.
    Yah I claimed JSA for a few weeks. Loada bloody messing though! Got mixed up and missed and appointment then had to fill in loadsa forms then I got a temp job anyway so I only got about 60quid for however many weeks!
    It makes you feel like crap having to sign on though.
    lipsy wrote: »
    Yah I claimed JSA for a few weeks. Loada bloody messing though! Got mixed up and missed and appointment then had to fill in loadsa forms then I got a temp job anyway so I only got about 60quid for however many weeks!
    It makes you feel like crap having to sign on though.

yeah i did that too, i only signed on once and then i got a job but all the messing around was so annoying!

i suppose im in a good(ish) position cos I still live at home so if I'm skint and dont have a job I don't have any rent or bills to pay, my car is sorted all I really need is £25 a month for my phonebill, and petrol.

I do have some savings that I could fall back on too, I was meant to be using them to go travelling but who knows.

Everyone seems to suggest agencies but I always get the idea that agencies are for people who have office experience? dont they usually have reception/secretary type of work? or do they have all different sorts of jobs?

I don't exactly know what I want to do which is why i've been stuck in a rut at a supermarket i guess :-/ I'm qualified as a nursery nurse and I want to work with children, and health, for example the two jobs I've had interviews for were an assistant to a school nurse, and and health care worker in a childrens health centre, both of the jobs they said i had a good application etc i have loads of childcare experience but no healthcare experience :-/ and also those sorts of jobs dont come up very often either i dont think.

Hmm I think i might just quit, the thing is i just know everybody will think im mad especially my parents.
    Oh everyone thought I was mad too, but you have to put your own mental well being first.

Most agencies are for office positions, but you don't need experience for all of them. Or you could just blag some. I mean you can clearly type, and spell, etc. Usually they give you some tests in basic computer skills and typing to see how good you are.

You could register at www.reed.co.uk
    That's how I got my current temporary job.

There are different sorts of agencies too, for all sorts of things such as housing, catering etc. I'm not sure about child related things but there are education focussed agencies.
    If you want to work with children, send your CV off to some nurseries and see what they say?
  • JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    Ive been unemployed for about 6 weeks and its slowly driving me insane. Its ace for a while then gets dull. If you've had enough for supermarket work i'd just leave, hardly like a career is at risk.
    Melian wrote: »
    If you want to work with children, send your CV off to some nurseries and see what they say?

hmm i do want to work with children, i know that if i wanted to i could get a job at a private day nursery pretty easily but iv been there done that and its not that great. i wanna try something that combines children and health sort of thing :]

yeah james thats what i thought its hardly like im throwing something huge away. I've just realised that in february we get like, a bonus if the store has done well and it can be up to £500 so maybe i should wait til i get that and thennn leave. hmm.
  • JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    Yeah, claim your cash then leave!
    i wanna try something that combines children and health sort of thing.

Dinnerlady ? :D
    Everyone seems to suggest agencies but I always get the idea that agencies are for people who have office experience? dont they usually have reception/secretary type of work? or do they have all different sorts of jobs?

There are plently of differnt agencies that do different jobs, you just have to look round a bit. Even if you dont want to levae your job until you have another one to go to, you can still approach agencies and ask them to start looking. Try looking on http://www.reed.co.uk they have a lot of jobs in different areas and smaller agencies advertise through them as well.

I was unemployed for about two months this year but never even applied for any benefits becuase half the time I was out the country and not elligable and my savings are too high to make applying worth it.
    To work in healtcare and with children would you not need some sort of health qualification? Maybe you need some careers advice or have a google of different professions. That's how I found out what I wanted to be!
    lipsy wrote: »
    To work in healtcare and with children would you not need some sort of health qualification? Maybe you need some careers advice or have a google of different professions. That's how I found out what I wanted to be!

yeeah, career advice would be good haha but who do you get it off? :-/ well i know that i can use my nursery nurse qualification to work in some places, like my friend she works with a health visitor and she has the same qualifications as me. and the other jobs iv applied for just asked for childcare stuff. i dont wanna be a childrens nurse or anything. (well i do but thats another story, ha).

i dont think im gonna quit after all, i want to but my two best mates thought it was a bad idea and my parents went mad :-/ arghh. i just dont know.
    If it's a crap job that's making you depressed and you've not got a mountain of commitments that would fail as soon as you quit (IE you're not living week by week on each paycheck) and haven't got a lot of responsibilities then I'd say quit. After all you have little to lose.

If however it was a good job or your money was supporting other people or something I'd say make sure to get something else first.

Also it depends on how easily you could find something else. I have left without another job to go to before, but I have been fairly confident of being able to find something else reasonably quickly.

Plus as lacrymosa says, January is rarely a good recruiting month.