Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

disciplinary help

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
hi there everyone, wandering if anyone can help me out with advice, last week i was put on paid leave, heres the reason why - last week when i was at work i out some stocking fillers in the back of shop, i had ordered my taxi for the end of my shift but i was still working away 10 minutes after my shift ended so i was rushing about and grabbed the bag with the stocking fillers in them and left the shop, i didn't realize until i got home that i forgot to pay for them, (but that has been a problem before because we've usually paid for stuff the next day)
When i went in the next day i paid for the goods and my assistant manager asked me to come into the back of the shop and asked me in front of the manager if i took them without paying for them i said 'yes' and he said that ''its stealing and if i do it again i will be sacked'', so i took that as a verbal warning cause of they way he did this and he done it in front of the manager as a witness, so i was off for a few days and when i when into work before i started my shift the manager pulled em aside and said that the assistant manager phoned the area manager and now im on 'paid leave'.
I've got my disciplinary next week, and ive read the assistant managers statement which hes lied in, but i was wondering (well i was told by my mate whos training to be a lawyer) that because ive been 'pulled up' for it by means of a verbal warning that i cant be disciplined for it again, any help or advice anyone can give me will help.

cheers tommy

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    It does depend on the grievance policy of your company, but with most places, if the situation is deemed serious enough, it can be escalated.
    I've got my disciplinary next week, and ive read the assistant managers statement which hes lied in, but i was wondering (well i was told by my mate whos training to be a lawyer) that because ive been 'pulled up' for it by means of a verbal warning that i cant be disciplined for it again,

:no: your mate is wrong. if they feel it is serious enough they can and will take appropriate action. he didn't say you were only being given a verbal warning at the time did he?
    Have you got a union? If so call them in.

The only bit I would question though is that why are you being picked up if the accepted policy is that you pay the next day. Even if it is just a "it's been like that" policy then if it's accepted that that is what people do it becomes de facto contractual after a certain time, so difficult to see why you can be dismissed through it.