Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

I hate living in halls

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
Because selfish individuals think its fun to be constantly stealing my nice brown bread and muller yogurts.

Really not impressed. Specially since I'm so broke I cannot really afford to replace these items, just for someone other then myself to enjoy them:grump:
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    might be worth having a chat with franki - I dunno if she managed to sort out her food pincher. If she has you can ask her what she did.
    Ballerina wrote: »
    might be worth having a chat with franki - I dunno if she managed to sort out her food pincher. If she has you can ask her what she did.
    I went away for 5 days and left a bitchy note on the fridge ;).

The girl who was doing it has since also given me back the £10 I lent her as well :D.
    yeah just speak to them and they should be decent enough to take not and stop doing it!!

stuff was constantly going missing in halls/last year in student house

chocolate mousses, yoghurts, apples and even cans went missing numerous times last year. what made me more pissed tho was that it wasnt cheap! most of the stuff that went missing was from m+s so i wasnt impressed :impissed:

one time in halls my flatmate had a tin of rice pudding taken from his cupboard - and automatically blamed me!!! apparently he'd seen that i had some rice pudding in my cupboard a month or so previously which apparently meant that it HAD to have been me that had taken it :rolleyes: idiot
    Funny how we never hear from the food stealers themselves ;)
    I 'borrowed' some food off a girl in halls, the last of her ice cream after she'd gone away for a few days. She came backa day early and I hadn't replaced it yet. Idid go and tell her straight away and replaced with a fresh tub the nerxt day so as a food 'pincher', I don't think I'm too bad!
    easy way to find the food pincher, put some laxative into something and wait! just make sure you don't get lashed up and come home and forget!
    last year in halls our kitchen was a bit of a free for all, i joined in with the food pinching, you win some you loose some. Just keep your expensive stuff hidden and invest in a mini fridge
    Ballerina wrote: »
    Funny how we never hear from the food stealers themselves ;)

I use other people's milk if mine has all gone like for a cup of tea. But then I think I offer to lend at least as much of my own food stuff to others. For the people who are supposed to be sharing my kitchen, we're all pretty close and so will share normal stuff like pasta and rice but don't steal expensive stuff. One of the girls even made a bday cake out of her own money for one of the guys :)

There is a more sinister food stealer we know of though. He wanders from his floor onto other ones, into the kitchens and goes through the fridges / cupboards for nice stuff. He's not on the small side either - we were bitching about him and came to the conclusion he's probably been a bit spoilt by his parents and so thinks he can take what he likes, without having to ask or replace / pay. It's even ruder it's not just his kitchen, but he goes on food hunts :mad: (you can often catch him late at night)

When we do catch him we tell him to fuck right off though :). He's nice enough otherwise though. I think he just needs someone with a big stick to reinforce the message 'stealing food = wrong'.

I know in a friend's kitchen their main issue is someone using cutlery and not tidying up, and they've had arguments about it, but even now only a few months in it's starting to get resolved in the sense that they'll just hammer on his door and be a pain until he washes it up :)

I think I've benefited though this year from living in very close quartered accommodation, whereas last year I had much more space and so when my things went missing I felt quite... I dunno. Like my space had been invaded.
    Happens all the time. It's worse when its ready meals and things like that, or cans. One bloke last year would walk up ten minutes before you were ready to open one of your 4 pack you'd fridged and take all four into his room. We had to drink warm beer for the rest of the year, or lodge your beers behind stuff in the freezer for half an hour making sure not to forget about them :p

This year one bloke has been doing it, and we know exactly who it is, so I treated myself to his stuff. When that didn't work, I left a note in front of all my stuff saying 'To whoever is nicking my stuff - Stop it, it's expensive and annoying, at least ask me first.'. Seems to have stopped now.
    ShyBoy wrote: »
    I know in a friend's kitchen their main issue is someone using cutlery and not tidying up, and they've had arguments about it, but even now only a few months in it's starting to get resolved in the sense that they'll just hammer on his door and be a pain until he washes it up :)

Yeah, thats why I've just had to move all my cutlery, plates, pots, pans etc into my room. One guy didn't even bring anything with him, and was bitching the other week that he had nothing clean to eat off and for us to wash up - when it was all his mess!
    Wow....I must be very blessed in that case...no-one in my halls goes near anyone's stuff, and if they really need something they will ask first.

Like a couple of nights ago I had a guy bang my door and ask to use some of my milk for a cup of tea, which of course he could, but the fact that he asked shows a lot of honesty. None of us have any problems that way, no-one locks their cupboards, people even leave their alcohol in the fridge and no-one will take any of it.
    yeah im with Capo. had an excellent bunch of kids with me last year in halls. we were all pretty share and share alike with things like milk, butter whatever. one of the lads is a bit fussy about his food so we didnt eat his stuff, fair enough.

i think this is one of the great learning curves of uni life. just the same as not turning your music on at full blast at 4am after a night out or any other kind of consideration you might have to show for other folks.

my girlfriend had a right stunner in her flat, the guy thought it was perfectly acceptable to use up a whole freezer for his stuff.....never mind that there were 6 people in the flat and the freezer was not even slightly on the large side. some people just dont learn.
    so far i've 'lost' one small sauce pan, a kitchen knife and some cutlery..a glass went mssing but turned up later so i assumed someone took it to their room. Luckily no one steals food in our flat.

My friend downstairs has it worse and lives with two skanky girls who use all the cutlery and crockery some of which doesn't even belong to them and leave all their dirty crap out then actually drink out of bowls just because they dont want to wash up a glass..they are disgusting.
    lacrymosa wrote: »
    Just have a word with them.

I think this is something that happens to all of us at uni (unless you are the one nicking people's food). I'm afraid the only way of sorting it out is telling them and not in a nice way ;) Make yourself clear and all that.

I was well pissed off in the first year when my massive new bottle of Heinz ketchup was opened and emptied so it could be used as a water gun :rolleyes:

yes its a water GUN pathetic tossers at university.
    ShyBoy wrote: »

There is a more sinister food stealer we know of though. He wanders from his floor onto other ones, into the kitchens and goes through the fridges / cupboards for nice stuff.

:lol: sounds like some sort of urban legend :D
    People often steal food in my hall. So you have to pick up some obvious tricks to survive.

-Keep non-perishable foods in your room
    -When you have to put food in a fridge, bag it
    -Draw skull and cross bones on your food and tell everyone it is poisoned
    -During winter, hang your food out of the window, this should keep your food naturally chilled.

Good luck :thumb:
    James88 wrote: »
    During winter, hang your food out of the window, this should keep your food naturally chilled

i thought this was a defence against bears? bears students......same difference i guess.
    James88 wrote: »
    -During winter, hang your food out of the window, this should keep your food naturally chilled.
    I couldn't have done that - I was on the ground floor. If I'd hung food out the window on a Saturday afternoon, it would have just got nicked by one of the rather attractive blondes who was using the nearby laundrette. I wouldn't mind, but they never said hello.
    Buy a jar of nutella...

Take half out...

Poo in it and mix the poo in so it's creamy (then wipe the spoon on the brown bread)...

Leave it for them...

They won't ever take anything again.
    Namaste wrote: »
    Buy a jar of nutella...

Take half out...

Poo in it and mix the poo in so it's creamy (then wipe the spoon on the brown bread)...

Leave it for them...

They won't ever take anything again.

:sour:

Lol never get on the wrong side of you eh ;)
    Haha, I remember making some nice cakes once and someone nicked a load of em. My flat at uni is full of people who drink loads, but tend to stay well away from drugs - so I stuck a note on them saying 'Don't eat these cakes, their contents will probably make you very ill'. Not one was nicked :p
    Namaste wrote: »
    Buy a jar of nutella...
    Take half out...
    Leave it for them...
    Do all your solutions to life's problems involve shit? :p
    Buy yourself a mini fridge for your bedroom! A few guys I lived with last year did so.You can get diesent ones pretty cheap!
    stargalaxy wrote: »
    Do all your solutions to life's problems involve shit? :p
    Mostly just my revenge plans.
    MancDan wrote: »
    Buy yourself a mini fridge for your bedroom! A few guys I lived with last year did so.You can get diesent ones pretty cheap!

yeah i had a whole bunch of mates who did this.....find a good one that is cold enough for any dairy products though, its one thing to chill your beer and another keepin your milk fresh. hehe