Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Heard the one about the Barclaycard chief?

2»

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Personally I think anyone who deliberately sets out just to offend people for the sake of being offensive is a cunt whether they're making homophobic jokes in a gay club or insulting the Queen in a Conservative Club. And I have no problem with the club throwing them out.

Do you see a difference between offending a person or group of people, and offending a set of political beliefs? Because far too often, people will claim personal offence, when in fact all they really want to do is stifle criticism of their beliefs. Like you say, I could go into a conservative club and offend the queen, and the people there may claim personal offence. Why? I didn't insult them. Of course I agree with you that private clubs should require people to abide by the rules, and I wouldn't go to a Robbie Williams fan club and start taking the piss out of him either. But that doesn't change the fact that there is a clear difference between going somewhere and insulting the people there, and going somewhere and expressing a viewpoint, however rudely, that the majority of people disagree with. Both would often get you kicked out of a club or internet forum. But in the public arena, generally the former would get you into trouble, whereas the latter wouldn't. I don't see any contradiction in that. Do you?
    You're all talking Sh'iite.
    They probably sacked him because they were afraid of the reaction from muslim extremists. Its got nothing to do with them worrying about who has their feelings hurt, they are just worried about their own skins.