Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Where Do I Stand ?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I work part time on what the company call a " Zero hour contract ". Basically the company are non-committal of what hours they will be able to offer you and how often they will be able to offer each person hours..

Now there are two main questions here ;

Where do I stand on Statutory Sick Pay or similar. Do I have any rights ? I mean I know I must have but what are they etc. It's often hard to find information that applies to my case because of the way in which I work, the whole zero hour contract and part time working thing.

The second question is does anyone know if I would be eligible for Job Seekers allowance ? I'm pretty sure I remember it saying that if you work for less than 16 hours per week, the lowest PT hours, they can make payments to you to make up the difference between your wage and the 16 hours, am I right ? Or is it something like that ?

Also, I have to pay for my uniform. They say they supply it, which they do but they don't tell you that you've got to pay for it till you've been given it and after that if you need more, which you really do as they wear and tear so damn quickly, you must pay for any additional uniform.

Are there any ways of getting reimbursements or similar as, as above it doesn't help being paid little then after having to pay your way in life having to spend more on uniform and this also includes having to buy and wear trainers from the company aswell !

I know the information to all my questions and more is more than likely out there, it's finding it that is the problem, if you can steer me in the right direction that would be fantastic.

As always I would assume ACAS will be advised to call, just to say I've got that one on the list of things to check already.

Comments

• Options
    Is it really worth working for them, can't you get another job?

You may be entitled to JSA, but they deduct your earnings over £5 from JSA. So you may not be entitled to very much, so whether it would be worth the form filling and hassles is up to you.
  • Options
    JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    Whenever I've been on a zero hour contract I was never eligible for statuatory sickness. If you were ill they just didnt pay you.
  • Options
    katchika wrote: »
    Is it really worth working for them, can't you get another job?

You may be entitled to JSA, but they deduct your earnings over £5 from JSA. So you may not be entitled to very much, so whether it would be worth the form filling and hassles is up to you.

No it isn't worth working for them in a financial sense however I do like the job I have. Also as much as I've been keeping my eye out for another job I'd happily do nothing has come up yet, sadly.
    JsT wrote:
    Whenever I've been on a zero hour contract I was never eligible for statutory sickness. If you were ill they just didn't pay you.

I thought that would pretty much be the case. I'm going back into work on Monday so I'll double check with them but the answer is probably going to be a no.