Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Returning things to their rightful owner

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Have you ever found someone elses lost property, and if so what did you do with it?

Whenever I've found loose money (including notes) its obviously very difficult to track down the person who dropped it, so that goes straight into my pocket.

I found someones purse once, and it had some money in it and their bank details, so I just handed it into the bank (including all the money). I've found a few mobile phones too and always returned them to their rightful owner.

It's just the right thing to do afterall. My conscience wouldn't allow me to do otherwise.

Here's a nice story...

A Bangladeshi immigrant taxi driver in New York is the toast of the Big Apple after returning a $500,000 lost bag of diamond rings to their rightful owner.

Comments

• Options
    Whenever I've found things like bags/purses in a shop ive given them to a shop assistant.
    I'd like to think someone would do that to my things.
    However when I've found money on the street I've kept it or given it top chartity
  • Options
    I've found and returned several mobiles

and handed in wallets
  • Options
    What's the most valuable thing you guys have found?

I don't think anything will top that guys $500,000 worth of diamonds... he really does deserve something (not sure what, but something) for his honesty.
  • Options
    I found a child and returned it to it's parents - silly lot left their front door open and it wondered into the road - they didn't even know the kid was gone until I carried it back.
  • Options
    not sure you'd call it a 'thing' but I found a £10 note while I went on a stroll once.
  • Options
    ive given back mobile phones that ive found.

The worst thing i did though when i found something, was a purse i found in a public loo. I took the money from it (£30) spent it on drugs, and also took their library card and got some books out which i wanted and never returned.

I feel worse about the library books than i do about the money.
  • Options
    Well, I once found a £10 note on the floor of the arcade. It was a few minutes after I finished work that day. I pocketed the money.
  • Options
    DG wrote: »
    I found a child and returned it to it's parents - silly lot left their front door open and it wondered into the road - they didn't even know the kid was gone until I carried it back.

:lol:

Sorry. Its a very valid point. Well done for returning the kid. But did anyone else find this funny? The title of the thread was "Returning things to their rightful owner." I never thought of children as having "rightful owners."

(I know this is an old thread, but I'm bored and procrastinating from writing my essay)
  • Options
    I was queueing up to use the cash point and this old couple in front of me left their credit card. They seemed really surprise when I called them back and gave it to them. I got called honest by the people around which is kinda sad that they expect me to nick it.
  • Options
    I found £100 outside my house once and kept it, bien sur!
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    Once my brother and I were in a tram. Two guys were sitting across us, and they got up to leave in a stop before ours. As one of them stood up, his keys, mobile and a shit load of coins dropped out of his pocket on the seat.
    My brother picked them all up and chased after him. The idiot wasn't even listening so he had to chase him for a minute before he realised. Of course, the tram started again and I had to wait for him to come by foot.
  • Options
    I lost my purse 2 weeks ago. Wish someone would have handed it in :(

I once found a mobile phone in a club and went to her pictures and then looked around the dancefloor to see if anyone looked the same and I found her!
  • Options
    lipsy wrote: »
    I lost my purse 2 weeks ago. Wish someone would have handed it in :(

I once found a mobile phone in a club and went to her pictures and then looked around the dancefloor to see if anyone looked the same and I found her!

haha, thats well cool! not the losing the purse thing obviously.
  • Options
    I was queueing up to use the cash point and this old couple in front of me left their credit card. They seemed really surprise when I called them back and gave it to them. I got called honest by the people around which is kinda sad that they expect me to nick it.
    They need not have worried. Unless you'd explicitly seen them tapping in the PIN number and knew what it was, you'd probably have no use for it.

When I worked at the shop a couple of years ago, quite a few people left their credit and debit cards at the checkout. We kept them for around three days before they were taken away. Most were, amazingly, never reclaimed.
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote: »
    They need not have worried. Unless you'd explicitly seen them tapping in the PIN number and knew what it was, you'd probably have no use for it.

When I worked at the shop a couple of years ago, quite a few people left their credit and debit cards at the checkout. We kept them for around three days before they were taken away. Most were, amazingly, never reclaimed.

yeah that's what i thought, they still looked surprised and people acted like i was some extraudinary yoof for returning it
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    If you lose your card, I think you're supposed to get it cancelled, even if you might know where it is. Someone might have taken the details even if they give it back to you.
  • Options
    If you lose your card, I think you're supposed to get it cancelled, even if you might know where it is. Someone might have taken the details even if they give it back to you.
    True. You can either visit your branch, or there's usually a number that people can call to report the lost card. There's just one problem with the second course of action, however - the number is usually to be found on the back of the lost card. :yeees:
  • Options
    I frequently find mobile phones when walking the dogs - usually the property of boozing teenagers at the weekend or kids that strip off the essentials whilst playing footy and leave it by the goalpost.

Otherwise always come across things in the department so hand them in...nothing bigger than mobiles really.
  • Options
    I frequently find mobile phones when walking the dogs - usually the property of boozing teenagers at the weekend or kids that strip off the essentials whilst playing footy...
    The essentials? What, they take off their underwear whilst playing football? Must be all the booze these teens drink. :p
  • Options
    The essentials? What, they take off their underwear whilst playing football? Must be all the booze these teens drink. :p

Oh yes - always the usual sights for me - wallet, phone, manthongs...
  • Options
    Pringle wrote: »
    :lol:

Sorry. Its a very valid point. Well done for returning the kid. But did anyone else find this funny? The title of the thread was "Returning things to their rightful owner." I never thought of children as having "rightful owners.

Well it was either that or stick the kid on ebay .. :D

Having said that wasn't there a movie about a guy that finds a little girl and keeps her? Think it may have been a Tom Hanks movie - anyone know?
  • Options
    Oh yes - always the usual sights for me - wallet, phone, manthongs...
    I've seen stranger things. Last Friday, I went into Bangor for the day to do some shopping. After parking my car, I made my way into town. For some reason, there were used condoms all over the car park. What was going on the night before, I have no idea, although I regret it was unconnected to my muted birthday celebrations. :p They weren't just ordinary condoms either - there were coloured ones, and there were wrappers for the more, shall we say, "adventurous" versions too.