Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Playing the clarinet

BunnieBunnie Posts: 6,099 Master Poster
edited January 2023 in General Chat
I got a clarinet for Xmas, and I am getting better at it, but the actually playing individual notes is rather hard.

I can play when they are all merged together, but that is not the point!

Any clarinet players out there fancy a bit of one on one tuition?
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I taught myself after years of playing the flute but my tone is still shaky - can you afford a few lessons?

How are you teaching yourself? The Boosey and Hawkes series - which I think is called Learn As You Play - is good.
  • Options
    I am using Play Clarinet Today.

It is good, but doesnt help me with this little problem

I dont have the money for any lessons unfortunately :( nor does anyone I know IRL play, so I cant pester them for any help.

I can play a note, but I cant play properly, and tbh I cant play a note constantly if that makes sense?

like I can play a piece but 3 out of 12 notes (random number there) will be strained, and unclear.

Saz, I would appreciate what books they are so I can have a look myself, see if they are worth getting myself.
  • Options
    I already play the flute so its not completely from scratch.

I havent had chance to play this last couple of days, and now i have hurt my finger :( but either tomorrow or later I shall try it out using your advice and ill let you know.

Thanks hun. you are a star! :thumb:
  • Options
    xsazx wrote: »
    No probs, a word of warning (having learnt clarinet before flute) it's a pain in the neck switching between the two, I spent my life automatically sight reading flute fingering whilst playing the clarinet (completely different, although upper octave clarinet i near identical to lower flute fingering if that makes sense) and getting moaned at for it hehe

PM me if it's of any use in the future though, good luck x x x

you are telling me, I keep doing the same thing!! haha!

Thanks for the luck, I need it! cheers love!