Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

MA applications

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
I am strongly considering an MA after I finish my degree.
I have started doing some research, but am still completely confused by it all. And I won't return to uni until January to see someone at my department who can perhaps guide me a bit (though I am thinking of applying several places, so don't know if they'll help me for applications going to other unis?)

Basically just wondering if anyone here knows if there's a limit to how many places you can apply to? And any other tips for that matter.
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Dear Wendy wrote: »
    Basically just wondering if anyone here knows if there's a limit to how many places you can apply to?

no there isn't.
    When applying for an MA in the UK you generally contact the university directly rather than applying through UCAS for example and you can make as many applications to as many different courses as you want.
    yep. the only exception would be if you are applying for a professional higher degree, but with an MA you're free to apply to as many as you want to.
    Yeah you can apply to however many places you want. My advice from experience would be don't hesitate to contact the department if you have any questions about anything that you can't find online, as they are usually really nice and willing to help, and also it can make you feel more at ease when you go in for an interview if you've already had some contact with someone from the uni.

Also just have clear ideas about why you want to study that particular subject at that particular institution for the application form/interview.

Good luck!
    Thanks for the replies guys.

Most places are open to applications, and have heard/know of people who've already sent theirs in and gotten a reply. I was just wondering if it was seen as late if I only send mine in sometime in February?
    I do know that a lot of places say to get them in as early as possible, but that the intake is throughout the year (think they open around november/december - though I am not sure). But I am kinda worried that I am not enough of a star student to get accepted if they only have a few places left.

When did the people who applied here, apply?

I dont' think i applied until quite late probably april/may and I had no problems.

Unless your going for something realllllly specific and usually engineering related - then i don't think you will have a problem getting on to a course if you have a 2:1 from a half decent university and the money to pay for it.

But I guess it all depends on where you currently are at and where you want to go.
    Dear Wendy wrote:
    I was just wondering if it was seen as late if I only send mine in sometime in February?
    you can apply in 99% of the cases at any time upto the start of the course which would be sept/jan.
    Wyetry wrote: »
    i don't think you will have a problem getting on to a course if you have a 2:1 from a half decent university and the money to pay for it.
    the money is usually the deciding factor for most people. masters degrees are hellishly expensive and getting funding is hard. its easier to get in than get the money imo.
    otter wrote: »

the money is usually the deciding factor for most people. masters degrees are hellishly expensive and getting funding is hard. its easier to get in than get the money imo.

I agree with this - I considered appying to LSE but their fees were almost 3 times those of Imperial where I ended up going - you were basically paying for the Name as far as I could tell.
    I didn't apply for mine until March I don't think, and it wasn't a problem. Does depend on the course and where you're applying but lots of them have places right up until the course starts so you should be fine!

Don't know your funding situation (I paid my own fees so it wasn't an issue) but I do know if you're applying for funding as well that the deadlines are usually a bit earlier so that might be worth checking out if applicable.