Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Branson tells strikers - go work somewhere else!

"Sir Richard Branson has told Virgin Atlantic staff who are threatening to strike over a wage deal offered by the airline to consider working elsewhere. In a letter to 4,800 cabin crew, the Virgin boss warned he would not be meeting pay demands. Workers' union Unite called the letter from Sir Richard "provocative". It comes after union members voted to strike in January in protest over pay levels they say are lower than at other airlines, including British Airways." Click here for more.

Oh, at long last! For years, bullying trade unions have had it all their own way. But finally, the business community is starting to fight back. Thank you, Mr Branson. You're absolutely right. Though personally, I would go further. I always say the same thing at a prospect of a strike, so here goes. Every worker - not just ones from Virgin Atlantic - who goes on strike next week should be sacked. Let's see whether they're as quick to complain about their salaries when they're out of a job.

Over to you all, for the inevitable furore...
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Good on you Branson! if they not happy they can leave.

Its common knowledge if you work for Virgin Atlantic, you will be paid less than you would with BA or other full service airlines. VA employees do get some great benefits to off-set the lower wages. In terms of basic salary- it is less than other airlines.

In the current climate the pay deal on the table at the moment is fair. I hope staff vote to accept this pay dealing before they start striking and diminishing the brand.
  • BunnieBunnie Posts: 6,099 Master Poster
    I agree with you both, well done Mr B.

No-one is ever going to be satisfied with their wage while others are working the same for more...but that is just the way it goes.

The better you are at your job determines how successful you will be in securing a higher paid position.

These people took the job on at that rate, so why should he change it to be the same as other airlines?

Virgin is a different service to BA, and personally I feel BA attendents have a harder job - snootier clientele to contend with
    Don't care either way - if they strike and get more money good for them, if they strike and he refuses to budge, well tough shit.

Though Stargalaxay's view that strikers should be sacked is straight out of the Soviet Russia's view of industrial relations....
    Though Stargalaxay's view that strikers should be sacked is straight out of the Soviet Russia's view of industrial relations....
    I was thinking more like the darkest days of the Ronald Reagan era... or indeed any time before 1900 when workers around the world were treated like meat and paid shit.

It really beggars belief. I can only hope once some people start clocking up a few years working full time trying to sustain themselves and their families their perceptions might change. Because unless they happen to be millionaires, their position is akin to a Jewish man voting for the Nazi party.
    Aladdin wrote: »
    I was thinking more like the darkest days of the Ronald Reagan era... or indeed any time before 1900 when workers around the world were treated like meat and paid shit.

It really beggars belief. I can only hope once some people start clocking up a few years working full time trying to sustain themselves and their families their perceptions might change. Because unless they happen to be millionaires, their position is akin to a Jewish man voting for the Nazi party.

Not sure Reagan ever banned the right to strike - Soviet Russia did (I have a feeling it was reinstated under Gorbachev).

Many Unions also cause their members more problems than they solve, by asking for unrealistic wage increases which the company can't afford and remain competitive, long-term strikes which destroy markets or force members onto strikes they know can't be won and don't recompense them for days lost.
    I'd hardly call the wage "piss poor", although its undoubtedly less than other airlines. But it is their right to strike if they think it will get them a better deal.

As Flashman says, though, quite often the union makes things worse. The union always acts for political reasons rather than a genuine desire to help its workers. Take the delightful Unison, for example, who sacked its shop stewards in Cumbria for daring to get equal pay (backdated for 10 years) for the female NHS workers there. Apperently equal pay for equal work was bad for the members and the shop stewards should never have fought for it :rolleyes:

So long as the strike is legitimate then it should be allowed to go ahead. I do think, though, that trades union should be forced to compensate paying customers for the inconvenience. Take the charming cuntcoach bus drivers in Toon, who still earn #5000 per year more than me, striking because Cuntcoach would only give them a piffling 13% pay award rather than the 18% award they wanted. Their series of strikes cost me about #200, almost a week's wages. Fuckers.
    why the hell wont branson pay his workers the going rate like other airlines then?
    More money for him and his airline, innit.

Does anyone know if VA pay less than Singapore Airlines, as the latter owns half of the former.
    Kermit wrote: »
    Does anyone know if VA pay less than Singapore Airlines, as the latter owns half of the former.

Yes, quite a few grand less.

The reason VA can get away with it is because they can always get more staff, lots of people want to work for them.

I applied for a job in the office, with a salary of £5k less than what BA would have paid.
    What I don't understand is why BA stewards/stewardesses are so miserable all the time when they get paid more than VA's plane crew.
    rachie004 wrote: »
    Maybe because Willie Walsh is systematically stripping the airline apart until all that is left of it is in Terminal 5. Its a turbulent time for BA crew atm

It is for most airlines, SleazyJet and the like seem to be destroying the short haul market.

BA is run by numpties though, always has been.
    Are they striking because-

A. Branson's going back on a deal he made with his employees

or

B. They're not getting enough of a pay rise ?

The article doesn't seem to make it clear.
    Kermit wrote: »
    BA is run by numpties though, always has been.

:yes:

Have to agree, most of BA's problems are completely there own doing from piss poor management.
    Put it this way, Emirates are making a killing up here since BA pulled out. Direct to Dubai twice a day? Count me in.

I don't mean to be rude about you (but will end up being) but I genuinely don't understand why anyone would fly BA. Heading West VA are better, and heading east Air New Zealand, Emirates and Singapore Airlines are all streets ahead.
    Like I said - flying isn't the job/career it used to be

I know, you have to suck a lot more cock :D

Well, according to Pam Ann you do.
    I don't work for BA anymore so I don't care and if you want to be rude about the airline I work for now I'd agree with you :)

Oh I thought you did. You change airlines like I change my pants (no, not once every three years:p).

I hate flying. Give me Eurostar any day. I'd ride Eurostar to Hong Kong if I could.