Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Under Paid

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Aren't we all? That's not what this is about though...

I was off sick for quite a while and was told that unless I went back to work I would commence on half pay from December. I returned to work in November and my manager said he would sort everything out. Been paid today and lo and behold I've been paid half pay for December, which I simply cannot afford! After I pay all of my bills etc I am usually left with about £200 for myself, and because I've only been paid half I actually need another £300 to pay my bills!

Whose 'fault' is this? Has this ever happened to anyone else? Unfortunately we get 'online' payslips which are only accesible via the company's intranet at work. I'm off work until 2nd January and our office is closed until Monday. ARGH!

I guess I really just want to know where I stand legally. Can I ask them to pay any charges etc that I might incurr as a result of this? I'm going to borrow the money from my boyfriend, but if I hadn't had a boyfriend or any family who were in a position to loan me the money I'd surely be very overdrawn and face a small fortune in charges. :(

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    BumbleBee wrote: »
    Whose 'fault' is this?

i suppose to answer that you'd need to know what your manager meant when he said he'd "sort everything out". if you get paid monthly your pay in december is for work done in november so that would work out as your getting half pay. but the person you need to talk to to get it sorted out is your manager.
    otter wrote: »
    i suppose to answer that you'd need to know what your manager meant when he said he'd "sort everything out". if you get paid monthly your pay in december is for work done in november so that would work out as your getting half pay. but the person you need to talk to to get it sorted out is your manager.

The pay we get in December is for work done in December at our place. We don't work in arrears.

My manager knew that I was due to go to half pay, so he said he would fill in some forms to make sure HR knew I was back.

:(
    he said he would fill in some forms to make sure HR knew I was back.
    if thats the case then it sounds like he hasn't done his job or that some admin person has fucked up. in that case you should be entitled to your full pay. but you need to raise the issue with him asap.
    I'm not sure what the norm is, but I go on half pay when I go off sick, which is normally 3 working days per year.

Yes, if you're still on sick pay while attending work, then it's an admin error.
    Monserrat wrote: »
    I'm not sure what the norm is, but I go on half pay when I go off sick, which is normally 3 working days per year.

We get full pay for six months, then half pay for six months, then they'd probably ask you to resign!
    We get full pay for six months, then half pay for six months,

and you work the same amount of hours all year?
    :chin: thats kinda odd...
    otter wrote: »
    and you work the same amount of hours all year?
    :chin: thats kinda odd...

:confused:

Erm yeah, I mean we get full pay for the first six months of a sick absence, and then half pay for another six months.
    :confused:

Erm yeah, I mean we get full pay for the first six months of a sick absence, and then half pay for another six months.

oh right i thought it was a bit strange because i was thinking you meant when you were working you were paid like that not off sick... it makes more sense now. :blush:
    Given your employer I expect they made a fuck up. If you were back at work then you should have been paid full pay. You legally have to have a back-to-work interview for health and safety reasons when you return to work after illness- that should have been done and the correct records kept.

Speak with them when you go back and keep receipts of any charges you incurred because of the mistake. It is their fault- if you were at work they should have known.
    Kermit wrote: »
    Given your employer I expect they made a fuck up.

:lol: True.

Apparently the online HR system is showing me as having handed in enough sick notes to cover me until next June. Morons.
    :lol: True.

Apparently the online HR system is showing me as having handed in enough sick notes to cover me until next June. Morons.

Hmm i wonder if this could lead to a discipline action for being a useless boss ;)
    MrG wrote: »
    Hmm i wonder if this could lead to a discipline action for being a useless boss ;)

None of us at work are that lucky I'm afraid :grump: