Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

How much are your winter bills?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
This is very nosey so don't answer if you don't want!

The reason I'm asking is that ours seems very high. Our bill that came in November was £300 for 3 months. That's just for electric as we don't have gas. We live in a small 2 bed flat (but don't use second bedroom) with storage heaters. Is this a lot of money or normal amount?

Comments

• Options
    I don't know much about bills, but a lot of storage heaters guzzle power.
  • Options
    I don't know much about bills, but a lot of storage heaters guzzle power.

I know :( they're supposed to be cheap.
  • Options
    Dunno, but we moved house at the end of October and the gas bill that just covers just about over a month is 78 Quid. 78 quid! you've got to be kidding me. grrrr.
  • Options
    We only have electric too and we pay £67 a month.
  • Options
    I'm on British Gas. £1 per day for electrics, £1 per day for gas over the Winter months. During hotter months, electrics stay the same, heating is obviously less (about 50p/day). This is for a Band A house.

Water (Severn-Trent Water) is £15 per month by direct debit.
  • Options
    kangoo wrote: »

The reason I'm asking is that ours seems very high. Our bill that came in November was £300 for 3 months. That's just for electric as we don't have gas. We live in a small 2 bed flat (but don't use second bedroom) with storage heaters. Is this a lot of money or normal amount?

Check if it's an estimated reading they're going off or an actual meter reading. I once thought I owed the gas/electric a whole wadge of money, but it turned out they owed me over £100!
  • Options
    I have a 3 bedroom flat with just electric and it has storage heaters which I only used one of. I live on my own and work full time so I'm only here evenings and weekends, I pay £70 a month. It used to be £50 but that was estimated and coz I used on average 60 a month I'm paying 70 to pay my arrears!

I pay £25 a month water too but I;m in credit for £50 atm.
  • Options
    Why do you live in a three bedroom flat on your own GhostGirl?
  • Options
    katralla wrote: »
    Why do you live in a three bedroom flat on your own GhostGirl?
    Because its housing association and its what they offered me. I love it, I have so much space. Problem is I have things in every room and I go thru stages of which room to sleep in.
  • Options
    rachie004 wrote: »
    I keep getting electricity bills at £60ish for a quarter.. I'm quite worried that I owe them thousands because they haven't billed me right :nervous:
    Do you have gas though?
  • Options
    i lived in a small one bedroomed flat for 6 months that had storage heaters. they assured me that i should pay £20 a month to them, i was sure it wouldnt be enough so i paid £40 a month, and still ended up with a bill for £230 when i moved out

so works out about 75/80 a month, its those storage heaters, they are damned expensive
  • Options
    kangoo wrote: »

I work for an energy company, and £100 a month for all elec is not surprising. However first of all check you have the right meter, if its not the right meter you will be paying alot more than you should be.
  • Options
    well i forgpt to say that was summer months as well
  • Options
    GhostGirl wrote: »
    Because its housing association and its what they offered me. I love it, I have so much space. Problem is I have things in every room and I go thru stages of which room to sleep in.

all i can say is sublet sublet sublet ;)
  • Options
    ShyBoy wrote: »

either that or youthnet housepartay!
  • Options
    I keep getting electricity bills at £60ish for a quarter.. I'm quite worried that I owe them thousands because they haven't billed me right :nervous:

Even old grannies dont get bills that cheap.

I would call your energy company and check everything is in order. Its worth bearing in mind if energy companies haven't billed you correctly and its their fault, they can only chase you for bills from the last year.
  • Options
    ShyBoy wrote: »
    Not allowed, its in my contract :p

Also, I am a dragon to live with. I know people would not think this of me in the slightest.
  • Options
    :( I keep hoping its because I'm not here alot *prays*

Would it be there fault despite the fact that I contacted them lots of times to set up my account and give them meter readings but then they didn't bill me for nearly 2 years? It is 'estimated' bills that they send, I think that they don't grasp that its me living here because they keep sending it to owner/occupier

It could be because you work away lots, however.

You need to keep a record of the meter reads and how and when you gave them to your energy company, it then becomes their fault if they had readings but continued to estimate. Then they can only rebill you for one year. (beware most companies wont tell their customers this)

Energy companies put accounts in the name of The Occupier/ The Owner when they believe the property is empty and only minimal usage would be consumed (i.e burglar alarm, security light or refrigerator running) so these could be the estimates you are receiving.

Check and see what your meter is reading and find the most recent bill, if their estimate is is lower than what you meter is reading -you owe them some dosh. :thumb:

**prays Rachies energy company isn't my employer** :D
  • Options
    :eek2:

:crying:

I didn't keep a record of when I've contacted them. I have called a few times and I also filled in two of those little slips that asks for your meter readings and details etc

I'll be in debt forever won't I? :crying:

Nah, It could be because of your job, you not at home much and therefore dont use much electricity. Easiest way to check is read your meter :thumb:
  • Options
    The meters are all in a cupboard that has THREE locks on it

Thats Manchester for you ;)
  • Options
    Our gas bill is about £20-£25 a month and our gas is about £25-£30 per month. But we turn the lights off and generally don't turn the central heating on.

We had an estimated bill for our gas in the last quarter at £400, on top of our standing order of £24 per month, which was £393 out. So if the bill is estimated make sure that the bill is correct as estimated bills are often wrong.
  • Options
    I have gas and electric, i live in a 3 bedroom semi, and my bill a few days ago from this last quater was about £70 for electric and £60 for gas. Not too bad looking at some others! But it is water that most amazes me, the big differences in what you pay. Mine is £34 a month, but in my old house 4 miles away, with the same water board was £20 a month :shocking:
  • Options
    JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    Yeah ours can only be accessed by the concierge too. We're paying £35 a month currently via DD but we dont use the heating at all! and only use TV/PC's but I'm still expecting to have to pay a bomb on top.
  • Options
    lacrymosa wrote: »
    Your flat is fucking freezing :p

What do you mean? A bomb on top? You mean you have to pay more than £35?
    No it isn't freezing at all :p Well its alright for us.

I'm meant expecting. As in I reckon we'll get a bigger bill on top.
  • Options
    I can't get into my meter box either. Must be a Manchester thing :p Only the people in the concierge can check the meter readings. Its annoying.

The concierge has to let you read the meter whenever you ask to see it.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote: »
    The concierge has to let you read the meter whenever you ask to see it.
    Our certainly does, I checked them myself when we moved in. Every other time we've asked he's just text them to us!
  • Options
    Aye. THEY did the meter reading. They never let us go through and do it. They were really funny about it too. We have to use THEIR electricity company too. Its something they didn't tell us when we signed our contract :grump:
    The same thing happened almost here.

When the buildings were built everyone was put on nPower by default, when we moved in the previous tenant had changed to British Gas and we've never been arsed to change it. Nowt in the contract about it though.