Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Speaker’s wife runs up £4,000 taxi bill shopping for official functions

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/politics/article3105766.ece

What do you think of this?

I think if someone's wife is running around to the shops and back to get food for hosting official functions she's not even being paid to host then £40 a week is a bargain.

I think it's just such penny pinching - If they were to hire a professional host to run these functions it would cost a lot more then £40

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    And in how many other professions can a man's wife run up a taxi bill running into thousands whilst "supporting him with his duties"?
    If you think £1,000 a year is a lot then put his wife on the official payrole and the bill should be at least 10 times more - she's not getting paid for the time she putting into running around and then hosting and maybe even cooking for all we know.

Maybe his wife can't drive and that's why she uses a taxi service.

If she's got lots to carry you can't really expect her to catch the bus.
    When you look at how much other people are spending in expenses, it reaslly isn't that much. And the article does make it clear she isn't using it for personal use.
    I don't see why she needs to get a taxi and can't get a bus like most normal people. I certainly don't get a taxi to go to the supermarket.
    i'm surprised any MP would even blink at £4k tbh.
    they waste so much money that £4k seems relatively insignificant, though i guess it all adds up at the tax payers expense.
    katchika wrote: »
    I don't see why she needs to get a taxi and can't get a bus like most normal people. I certainly don't get a taxi to go to the supermarket.

How many Dinner parties (with how many guests) you shopping for each week?
    She shouldn't be hosting dinner parties if she can't deal with the logistics and expense herself; not her job, not tax payers' burden.
    katralla wrote: »
    She shouldn't be hosting dinner parties if she can't deal with the logistics and expense herself; not her job, not tax payers' burden.

So she should be expected to pay for all the food e.t.c. herself when it's clearly official functions she is catering for?

£4000 a year isn't that much to spend on taxis anyway, considering how much money you spend to keep a car on the road.
    katchika wrote: »
    You monster :shocking:

Having said that, it's quite easy to get food, for 'functions', delivered now for free, instead of having to bum around in taxis. Maybe the service isn't available in London, but it's up to Ken to sort that out...

Since this thread is connected to Michael Martin, and we don't get many of them, can I just say that he's a bit crap, by the way? Although they could probably do worse, even if I can't imagine how.
    Whowhere wrote: »
    So she should be expected to pay for all the food e.t.c. herself when it's clearly official functions she is catering for?

Is that an official function that catering for is in her official job description/contract? If not, then why should she be allowed to dip into the official money pot, ELC money I wouldn't mind but, official bank of england stuff collected from official tax payers? fuck right off.
    katralla wrote: »
    ELC money I wouldn't mind

What's the Early Learning Centre got to do with it ?
    Nothing, just toy/joke money init.