Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Starting some basic fitness stuff

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I'm 16 years old and i thought it might be a good idea for me to start doing some sit ups and press-ups or something daily. I know i should have been doing something like this for a long time but i haven't really ever got round to it.

We have a treadmill but i don't have time in the morning before school and after school im just too tired to get started on something like that.

I don't get much exercise as it is, most of it comes from walking to and from school on an average day as its quite a long way and i do walk really fast apparently as everyone i walk with complains lol.

I was thinking that i should start doing some press-ups and sit ups daily to start with then maybe next year when i'm in sixth form sign up to a gym or something if I've got the money.

Got any advice on what i should do or how much?

Cheers

Comments

• Options
    running is also a good idea to keep fit
    you should "do" whatever you want to work on. most gyms are about £3/4 a session which lasts as long as you want it to or you can buy a membership which if your going the gym often enough usually means you'll save a lot of money overall.
  • Options
    Try to find something that you enjoy so that exercise is fun and not so much of a chore or it won't last.
    Don't any of your friends want to do something? Swimming, tennis, squash? take it one day at a time, try different activities until you find one you like and have fun.
  • Options
    Yeah, i want to do something at home first because i dont want to go to a gym because i think ill look like a right prat been pretty weak. But from what i've read, people dont tend to look at you that way and think its good that your trying to improve and things.

I might look into what my local gyms are and things, i think i might start running either by getting up earlier for school in a morning and doing it or trying to make myself do it after.
  • Options
    Matteh wrote: »
    But from what i've read, people dont tend to look at you that way and think its good that your trying to improve and things.
    thats true and is a common misconception that people make. generally people just get on with doing their own thing not too bothered about what everyone else there is doing... you won't look a prat ;)
  • Options
    Silk wrote: »
    Try to find something that you enjoy so that exercise is fun and not so much of a chore or it won't last.
    Don't any of your friends want to do something? Swimming, tennis, squash? take it one day at a time, try different activities until you find one you like and have fun.

I love swimming actually, the only problem is, public swim round here is only during school hours which means i cant do it. Ill have to look into other nearby leisure centres and things. And thinking about it, i do have a friend who is really interested in swimming too so that might be the way forward for me :)
  • Options
    otter wrote: »
    thats true and is a common misconception that people make. generally people just get on with doing their own thing not too bothered about what everyone else there is doing... you won't look a prat ;)

Yeah, i just need to keep that in my head really. Cheers, ill find out wheres the best place to go.
  • Options
    There are many people at gyms of different ages, sizes and fitness levels, to be honest the only ones who do look prats are those who go to pose, at my local gym there are two guys who do more preening in front of the mirror than anything else, they look like prats!
    Just enjoy it, when you first go, someone can talk you through what you need and give you targets to meet, it can be a good place to go socially though I have to say I'm not too keen on gyms myself unless its for aerobics classes etc.
  • Options
    Ive just found out that my swimming pool has adult swim sessions late at night during the week and early in the morning at the weekend. So theres a chance for me to swim everday except mondays!

I'll see if i can get a swim pass if they do them and start going to that.

Thanks for the advice!