Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Ears!!

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hey

I wasn't sure if this is the correct place to post this or not.

I got my ears pierced about 10 years ago but me right one keeps playing up. If I wear the same earring too long or cheap ones, so try not to, but its flared up. Its all swollen (wee slightly) sore and redish, I've put my studs in that they were pierced with (well I lost some but I bought some more today proper ones) and I'm spraying savlon anything else I can do?

I want to be able to wear other earrings on Monday night if possible!

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    What are your studs made out of, the ones you were pierced with? They've probably got a high nickel content, so if that's the case, chuck 'em out.
    Titanium is great as it doesn't contain any nickel at all.
    I only wear pure silver or my studs, they are the claron ones.
    I'll have to get some titanium studs I think!
    Wheres best to look?
    Definatly get some titanium :thumb: Even sliver, surgical steel, gold plated make my ears go bad.

Only problem is that its hard to find titanium in non body jewlery looking things. Like the BCR, horseshoe... I've looked :(

You could also try solid gold earrings. Or anything non metal. Organic, bone, bioplast :)
    Definatly get some titanium :thumb: Even sliver, surgical steel, gold plated make my ears go bad.

Only problem is that its hard to find titanium in non body jewlery looking things. Like the BCR, horseshoe... I've looked :(

You could also try solid gold earrings. Or anything non metal. Organic, bone, bioplast :)

Yeh I've been looking tonight and can't find any that are for eyebrows etc or mens!
    I dont thnk you will be able to do this by monday but i think i have built up a bit of a tolerance. When i was younger i couldnt even wear necklaces which werent titanium but as ive gotten older its not such a problem for me.
    I've always had problems with my lobe peircings. I can only wear surgical grade stainless steel in the them now and still have to change those 9-12 months as they will eventually arrgevate my pericings. You need to stop wearing nickle and going for the more expensive but purer metals. You might need to stop wearing your earring for a few days to let the irratation heal up.

My cartlidges one always have surgical grade stainless steel earring in them and have never got infected.

Wildcat is where I get all my earrings from, they have a massive range in different metals. And warm salt water is better for cleaning your ears then savlon.
    ^Steel, whether surgical or not, still has a small percentage of nickel content - which is probably why you still end up reacting to them later on...